saddle/apron

chickmamato7

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
Rochester, NY
I have a chicken losing feathers from over mating and it's getting pretty bad (plus it's cold out), so she needs protection. Being new to chickens, I of course chose the cutest saddle rather than the most practical one that would actually work. It was designed to look like a dress, with a little *red* bow (which could easily bet picked off and swallowed) & adorable fringe around the bottom (to attract lots of interest). The backside is made of lightweight material, so the "dress" flips up when she runs or tries to fly, leaving her back completely unprotected while she's being chased down due to the red decorations. Lesson learned.

I found two other saddles, made by experienced chicken owners, and was hoping to get some opinions from those who have successfully used saddles, on the practicality of their design. I've already ordered 2 different aprons of poor design & don't want to waste any more money.

Here's what I found that looks like it might work:

https://www.chickenarmor.com/?~~id=98775301&~~mode=product

Any thoughts?

*The image below is the cute apron which did not work*

Attachments

• IMG_5590.jpg
    IMG_5590.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 44
So I broke down and purchased 2 Down Under Outdoors chicken saddles, and I am so happy that I did! They were easy to put on (comparatively speaking) and the girls adjusted to them quickly. They stay on and in correct position without restricting movement or flight. They are made of sturdy canvas material and offer complete protection during mating (shoulders and back). I highly recommend this product!

So I broke down and purchased 2 Down Under Outdoors chicken saddles, and I am so happy that I did! They were easy to put on (comparatively speaking) and the girls adjusted to them quickly. They stay on and in correct position without restricting movement or flight. They are made of sturdy canvas material and offer complete protection during mating (shoulders and back). I highly recommend this product!
where did you purchase these particular saddles from?

do you mind if I piggyback off your thread a little bit?

I too have a select few girls that the roosters tend to mate with more than others. I was just wondering if anyone has any theory's as to why they do this? I have seriously been thinking about getting saddles for a bunch of my girls that the roosters love a little too much and wondering if this is a common solution?

where did you purchase these particular saddles from?

do you mind if I piggyback off your thread a little bit?

I too have a select few girls that the roosters tend to mate with more than others. I was just wondering if anyone has any theory's as to why they do this? I have seriously been thinking about getting saddles for a bunch of my girls that the roosters love a little too much and wondering if this is a common solution?
I got them on Amazon for $12.99. They even come with flexible wing protectors & my chickens adapted to them quickly. Good luck!

I'm wondering if anyone has follow up comments on how their saddles are working? I'm really curious as I've got four hens missing many feathers. We put saddles from eBay on them in early spring and left them on for about two months. I recently removed them because I was concerned about warm weather overheating, and also they began losing feathers at the shoulder (not covered by these saddles). When removed, I didn't feel like much re-growth had occurred, and the feathers underneath were growing in strangely. When the saddles came off, one of the hens ran around for a couple of days picking off the new growth on the others hens (sigh). They've calmed down, but I'm back to square one. Any tips on doing this better would be much appreciated!

I'm wondering if anyone has follow up comments on how their saddles are working? I'm really curious as I've got four hens missing many feathers. We put saddles from eBay on them in early spring and left them on for about two months. I recently removed them because I was concerned about warm weather overheating, and also they began losing feathers at the shoulder (not covered by these saddles). When removed, I didn't feel like much re-growth had occurred, and the feathers underneath were growing in strangely. When the saddles came off, one of the hens ran around for a couple of days picking off the new growth on the others hens (sigh). They've calmed down, but I'm back to square one. Any tips on doing this better would be much appreciated!
I have just purchased the down under saddles for our hens and so far, so good. I've had them on for a week or so. They went on easily. I will post back if anything goes wrong or they don't work well. Otherwise, no news is good news!

Regarding your hens feather picking the new growth, they may need more protein in their diets. You can try to mix in grower feed in addition to layer feed, and then offer calcium on the side if the hens need extra.

Also make sure you have adequate roost space for them. A good number is 1.5 linear feet of roost space per bird.

Back
Top Bottom