Saddle Feathers??

He is the one in the back.

This is him in the front. You can see how the other boys behind him are a lot more developed. I just couldn't pin if he was a boy for sure. He is now with 10 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster appears to leave him be for the most part. I have seen my rooster mount him before so that's why I was confused. He is best buddies with the chicken in the top picture. They sleep in the same box and everything.
Yep thats a roo. Roosters will mount each other to show dominance over another.

B]
[/IMG]
What do you think? 3 months old, golden comet. Rooster or hen?

[IMG][B]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7092093/width/200/height/400[/B]
What do you think? 3 months old, golden comet. Rooster or hen?[/QUOTE]
Pullet based on coloring. Golden Comets are a type of red sexlink. Males are white with some red. They can be very fast maturing, with some pullets starting to lay as early as 16 weeks.

Rooster diagram.

I don't have a picture of my sebrights together. But it is true, only a hatchery grade Sebright has saddles.

This is the rooster. No saddles or hackles.

Last edited:
Saddle feathers on all my boys of 5 different breeds started growing in around the 12 week mark. They start up high on the back, almost at the base of the neck. I had to separate their wings to see them. I had one "pullet" that didn't start growing a comb, reddening up, or sprouting the male feathers until I got rid of a bunch of my other cockerels.

I have a buff orpington rooster and a ton of pics of him from day old to now (almost 5mos), and can see the progression of not sure to definitely rooster. If you want, I can sort through them, mark them, and upload some tomorrow, but I'm about to hit the bed since I have to be up early

They all have saddle and hackle feathers. The difference is the appearance of them. Roosters typically are pointed and shiny; hens are rounded and more matt. Even hens will have pointed neck feathers (hackle) to some degree, but not usually as far down.

Back
Top Bottom