Saddle Feathers??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Juno's Chicks, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Juno's Chicks

Juno's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Berks County
    So I don't have a specific chick at this point I need help with... but I do have questions on the saddle feathers.

I've been trying to look up online pictures to figure out what I'm looking at/for.

Also, do all males have saddle feathers and females do not? or is it breed specific?

Can someone please help me out with this??

THANK YOU!!!!!

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Juno,
    Here is a diagram that might hep you,
    [​IMG]
    And can be found at the Diagrams,poultry parts,charts, sticky in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing.

Saddle feathers,
    Saddle feathers are feathers are feathers that extend off the back of the chicken but before the tail of the chicken. A rooster in most cases have long pointed saddle feathers and female have short rounded ones.

Chris

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    You won't see pointed feathers until the chick is about 3-4 months old. One of the first signs is usually a red comb.
    The chicks in the picture are around the same age, but the first is a pullet and the second is a cockeral. They are around 1 month old in these pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Juno's Chicks

Juno's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Berks County
    Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I wouldnt go by the comb at all i have many with light combs that ended up to be roos after. Same with birds that get combs fast turned out being pullets later. One thing you can be sure of when the time comes if it lays eggs its a pullet if it crows its a rooster. But saddle feathers are a great indication aslong as you dont confuse them for something else.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    J977 likes this.
  6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    [​IMG]

in this one he has his hackles, his saddle feathers were just coming in, and he does have his sickle feathers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    do all males have saddle feathers and females do not? or is it breed specific?

almost all males do have hackle and saddle feathers but there are some breeds that dont such as the seabright bantams, in which case you would have to go by comb and wattle size along with if the chicken is crowing or laying.

8. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    do ony roos have sickle feathers??? and theres only usualy 2 right??

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    The 2 top feathers on the tail that get longer than the others are the sickles. I don't know if they would still be called sickles on a hen, as they don't get long.

10. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Hens have hackle feathers and saddle feathers also, but they are rounded on the ends, not long and pointy like a roo's. [​IMG] Although a roo's saddle and hackle feathers can be rounded also until they start getting their "big boy" feathers in...usually around 4 months or so I believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by