Saddle Feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    When do Saddle Feathers start to show up?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You'll see saddle and hackles after the chicks finish up all of their juvenile moults. I think that's somewhere around 3-4 months old? Usually my little roosters have combs and are crowing before their feathers give them away :)

3. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Well dang! But thanks for the info!
    [​IMG]

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    The rooster mature much faster than pullets. If you have a roo and it has not crowed watch the comb and waddles. Very early before they crow and show the saddle feathers and the curly tail that comb will go bright red long before your pullets turn red.

Caroline

5. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks Caroline. Is it typical for the conb to develop in bursts. I have a Splash Orpington who has feathered out much slower. Still doesn't have much tail at a little over 6 weeks but at about 5 weeks al of a sudden there was a significant comb and beginning of wattles. But then it hasn't changed much since then. I'm thinking Roo but am confused by the comb and wattles not continuing to grow. Do roos typically have a different look to their eyes? This one has steely eyes.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    At least in my experience, you begin to see saddle feathers when the cockerels are 12-14 weeks of age. I agree with howfunkyisyourchicken, though, in that they usually begin crowing several weeks before then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by