Saddle Feathers?

You'll see saddle and hackles after the chicks finish up all of their juvenile moults. I think that's somewhere around 3-4 months old? Usually my little roosters have combs and are crowing before their feathers give them away :)

You'll see saddle and hackles after the chicks finish up all of their juvenile moults. I think that's somewhere around 3-4 months old? Usually my little roosters have combs and are crowing before their feathers give them away
smile.png

Well dang! But thanks for the info!
thumbsup.gif

The rooster mature much faster than pullets. If you have a roo and it has not crowed watch the comb and waddles. Very early before they crow and show the saddle feathers and the curly tail that comb will go bright red long before your pullets turn red.

Caroline

The rooster mature much faster than pullets. If you have a roo and it has not crowed watch the comb and waddles. Very early before they crow and show the saddle feathers and the curly tail that comb will go bright red long before your pullets turn red.

Caroline

Thanks Caroline. Is it typical for the conb to develop in bursts. I have a Splash Orpington who has feathered out much slower. Still doesn't have much tail at a little over 6 weeks but at about 5 weeks al of a sudden there was a significant comb and beginning of wattles. But then it hasn't changed much since then. I'm thinking Roo but am confused by the comb and wattles not continuing to grow. Do roos typically have a different look to their eyes? This one has steely eyes.

At least in my experience, you begin to see saddle feathers when the cockerels are 12-14 weeks of age. I agree with howfunkyisyourchicken, though, in that they usually begin crowing several weeks before then.

Back
Top Bottom