Saddle Patterns-PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been noticing that my RIR, who is my roos favorite playmate, is getting a little bare on her back. Does anyone have a pattern for a saddle, so I can make one for her?

Thanks, Sonja

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

This is what I make:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No sewing required. Polar fleece is stretchy and doesn't need hemming or anything.

I measure the particular hen from between the wings to the base of the tail where the oil gland is that's the most important part. A little smaller is better than a little bigger but you can mess around to see what works best for you. [​IMG]

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

That is awesome, thank you!! I guess a trip to the fabric store is in order. I may have to make these for all my girls as winter coats, too.

Sonja

4. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    AWW, cuteness! You should get her some pink, definitely! (pics with it on her, please) [​IMG]

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Follow the link in my sig and you will find 2 different patterns. One requires sewing and one is no sew.

6. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I have 29 RIR hens and two Roos. I have also noticed some of my girls getting a little bare on their back. Short of outfitting the flock in saddles, is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable and keep them from getting hurt?

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
  8. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Id love to see a pic of one of this saddle covers on the hen. Would you mind posting one? Thanks.

9. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's one of my older kind, it fits around the legs too. I modified the design though because it fits just fine without the leg part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Thanks Farmer Kitty... this looks great. I had a hen get mauled by the boys the past few days while they have been stuck in the coop (too cold to range)
    Christina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by