saddles and roo socks

I wonder if you could use the cat "soft paws" on roosters. They stay on pretty well for cats, and they don't get infections, fungus, etc. and they use their paws in the litterbox.

Quote:
Those are the tips I was initially referring to, thats what i was wondering? Chicken claws are pretty huge though, do they come that big, or can you custom make them? I bet we could get a rubberized material to do the deed, but again, fungus etc could be an issue, it would need to be safe.
Chickens get mudballs on their feet if they are in muddy pens - I've seen them in muddy condition, but underneath are normal toenails. I imagine the same thing could happen with poo. They cant be left like that though, it injures the feet and cant feel good. But does that mean those roos are easier on the hens, cause their claws are covered?
Hmmm.

Quote:
thats what i was thinking as i read this, i wounder if it would work and youd have to keep them still while it dried.

Quote:
Those are the tips I was initially referring to, thats what i was wondering? Chicken claws are pretty huge though, do they come that big, or can you custom make them? I bet we could get a rubberized material to do the deed, but again, fungus etc could be an issue, it would need to be safe.
Chickens get mudballs on their feet if they are in muddy pens - I've seen them in muddy condition, but underneath are normal toenails. I imagine the same thing could happen with poo. They cant be left like that though, it injures the feet and cant feel good. But does that mean those roos are easier on the hens, cause their claws are covered?
Hmmm.

they make them in sizes for dogs, too. those might work better.

Quote:
See, then for just the tips, that might work!

As for the tool spray stuff, my DH says it's not a flexible as we would need (the mechanical application stuff) he suggests just cutting down human garden gloves with the nubbies on em to fit, cause that spray stuff is not that bendy.

Now I'm picturing roosters pracing around in their shoes the way my cat prances when she steps in the icky white stuff we call snow
lau.gif

Seriously, though, I think the claw tip covers are the better idea. As much YUCK as I've seen caked on chicken toes, the rubber tips couldn't cause that much of a problem. I'd superglue them on to make them last, though. And they do make large sizes.

So are you folks also going to put a cork on the rooster's spurs? I would, before you go strapping on any fancy pink sequined shoes
gig.gif

Last edited:
You could use that fabric they use on the bottom of childrens PJ's - where the feet are enclosed.
I can't remember what its called, but it has little bumps on it made from rubbery stuff - so kids don't slip and fall?

I would think keeping some kind of sock on a rooster would be more prone to grow nasty stuff than just putting on some kind of protective coat on the nails - like those cat and dog things you glue on.

Soft paws are available for dogs, and come in a ton of sizes, so there would be something to fit a rooster. The glue that comes with those things is pretty good. Let's just say, if you get it somewhere its not supposed to be and it sets, its near impossible getting it off.

Quote:
I dont though, because my rooster has nubs instead of spurs - he was grown when I got him, so I dont know how - but he's the main guy that does the dirty, and I think he does the most damage, with his big heavy, clumsy, slipping feet. Maybe I need to observe them more, not really into it though....I'd rather just put the tips on and see if theres less damage?

Back
Top Bottom