Sadly, too many drakes...

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
So...here I am loving these dorky ducks and hoping for the best but...alas, I very definitely have a drake overpopulation. Not cool as my kids all have "their own". Ugh! All 4 humongous Pekins are drakes. Also one of my 2 Rouens, and one of my 2 runners. That only leaves me with 3 ladies, a runner, a rouen and my KC. And they are currently at the point of getting a bit too mating-aggressive.

We are toying with eating Pekins, rehoming, or penning them separately. I am very in favor of getting them to the freezer! The kids are all more attached though they do know why we got them to begin with and are all teenagers (one is 12) so they want a separate pen. If I can find someone, rehoming would make most everyone happy...enough.

I'll post in the MI thread and perhaps find new homes. Kids won't know if the new "home" puts them in the freezer, right? Not cool. Crummy luck that out of 9 straight run ducks I get 6 males! :barnie:idunno

That's a bummer bud. Another option, though likely not a favorable one it might be easier, would be to rehome the females. You can keep multiple drakes in harmony without any females around.
Considered that but only for a moment. The runners are our faves so that pair we want for sure. Originally they were for eggs (and "pets")...along with the chickens. So I want a few females lol. Future ducks won't be everyone's faves as it won't be so "new and fun" so we would just slaughter. So bummed the Pekins allll ended up male. Brats!

Until you decide maybe keep the females and your Runner drake separated from your other drakes. Runner drake maybe be looked at as an easy target. But your females are going to need protection until you decide what to do. Post on your Michigan thread. Also @onaharley being from the state knows places on face book where you can post too. I ended up with 5 drakes out of 6 that hatched here. Thank goodness homes were found for 4. Year of the drake it seems. :rolleyes:

Until you decide maybe keep the females and your Runner drake separated from your other drakes. Runner drake maybe be looked at as an easy target. But your females are going to need protection until you decide what to do. Post on your Michigan thread. Also @onaharley being from the state knows places on face book where you can post too. I ended up with 5 drakes out of 6 that hatched here. Thank goodness homes were found for 4. Year of the drake it seems. :rolleyes:
Right?! And yup I posted in MI thread. So far runner drake is safe. So is Rouen drake. Female runner and KC are the ones starting to have issues! And oddly, only the Rouen drake is interested in the Rouen female lol. I am looking into separating the Pekins today as they are not too interested in the pool except every 4th or 5th day when it gets changed. That's when the mating behavior is worst cuz they get their fat butts in the pool and triggers their hormones!

I got 2 males out of my first 2 ducks. I even tried sexing them. my second two ducks I have living in a pink cage - surrounded by femininity and have my fingers crossed.

You know we can't blame them it's the way they were created for some unknown reason lol I hope you can find homes for your boys. I know they were meant for food but maybe someone just wants some nice pets too. You can always give the Pekins a large container to wash in.

I have 3 females and 3 males and 4 are ducklings... out of the ducklings I got 2 males 2 females.
But the ducklings are great together the two males are best buds, but i had 4 males until one of them died. What has worked for me is I seperated the ducklings from the adults so I now have “2 flocks” lol. In my opinion I would try dividing them and if that doesn’t work either re-home or eat...

Back
Top Bottom