Safe coop and run lighting for humans

Laurahowemt

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2020
Stevensville, MT
I am getting close to finishing my coop! I am now planning for lighting, I want to have a light inside my coop, with a switch outside so that I can work it in during the winter evenings when it is dark. It will not be for chicken winter artificial light, just for my use. What fixture can people recommend that is safe for chickens and their flurry of activity and dust? I'd really like LED to keep the wattage on this circuit low. I will have one extension cord going to the coop/run for 2 water heaters and this light. I think I might do a solar light for the run unless someone else has a better idea. Thanks!

I am getting close to finishing my coop! I am now planning for lighting, I want to have a light inside my coop, with a switch outside so that I can work it in during the winter evenings when it is dark. It will not be for chicken winter artificial light, just for my use. What fixture can people recommend that is safe for chickens and their flurry of activity and dust? I'd really like LED to keep the wattage on this circuit low. I will have one extension cord going to the coop/run for 2 water heaters and this light. I think I might do a solar light for the run unless someone else has a better idea. Thanks!
Just thoughts off the top of my head...

This reads like your coop is not hard wired.
If you are going to use an extension cord to send power to the coop make sure it is one continuous length and get one constructed of 12 gauge wire with ground. Preferably with a built-in multiple socket design like this.

You can get an LED shop light in a ballast to hang from the ceiling.

You could extend the pull cord to the outside of the coop.

Just thoughts off the top of my head...

This reads like your coop is not hard wired.
If you are going to use an extension cord to send power to the coop make sure it is one continuous length and get one constructed of 12 gauge wire with ground. Preferably with a built-in multiple socket design like this.

You can get an LED shop light in a ballast to hang from the ceiling.

You could extend the pull cord to the outside of the coop.
Not hard wired yet. Maybe next year, but I think I have a good setup in the works for now. One extension cord going to a power strip and from there each device will plug into the power strip via their own cords. All will be in an enclosed weatherproof box (es) to reduce fire and dust risk, and weather and water outside. It is all under a covered roof too.

Wouldn't that light be vulnerable to spastic chicken breakage? If I went with a linear LED, I'd rather have a panel than tubes, I think.

Back
Top Bottom