Safe Fertilizer

jaku

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Howard City, Michigan
My lawn looks crappy- other than the spots where my chicken tractor has been. I want to use fertilizer on it, but obviously I need something that will be chicken safe. What should I look for, and what should I avoid. I'm looking for something that will work in a broadcast spreader.

Chicken manure!!!
big_smile.png

Chicken manure is good, but maybe a little hot. I wish I had a better answer but I don't feel qualified to provide a serious answer.

I agree with the other posts. I compost my chicken manure. Chicken manure is the richest animal manure in N-P-K. Chicken manure is considered "hot" and must be composted before adding it to the garden, etc. Otherwise, it may burn any plants it comes in contact with. I use regular fertilizer. I just move my run and yard fence to a different place and fert. I have ferted an area where I was moving my birds too but watered the area good where I ferted for a few days before I moved the birds there.

The problem with using chicken manure is that I have a one acre yard, and I'm already using the manure I get by moving my tractor twice daily, so I need some actual bagged fertilizer to spread. I know pesticides and chemicals should be avoided when birds are to be put in the area, but is fertilizer a problem? The birds that will be going into the fertilized area are meat birds, also, so I really don't want any harmful chemicals.

What about the organic fertilizers that you can buy that won't burn the grass and that dogs can go on? I haven't fertilized in a few years now but I used to buy the organic slow release fertilizer and I think it was fairly safe. I would stay away from any that have weed killers or anything like that. Go read a few bags and see what they say.

How about Milorganite? I called the company and they claim it's safe for the birds, all natural, no chemicals, etc. Plus, it's only $11/bag.

Last edited:
I doubt that even organic fertilizer is a good thing for chickens to eat. That's the problem, they may eat it. Organic or not, you would be feeding all that nitrogen and such.

Organic does not mean safe.

I imagine goldenluver means epsom salts. I wouldn't want my meat birds eating all that magnesium, either.

I'd wait til the birds are processed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom