Safe Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jaku, Jun 17, 2009.

1. jaku

jaku Songster

My lawn looks crappy- other than the spots where my chicken tractor has been. I want to use fertilizer on it, but obviously I need something that will be chicken safe. What should I look for, and what should I avoid. I'm looking for something that will work in a broadcast spreader.

2. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Songster

Chicken manure!!! [​IMG]

Chicken manure is good, but maybe a little hot. I wish I had a better answer but I don't feel qualified to provide a serious answer.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I compost my chicken manure. Chicken manure is the richest animal manure in N-P-K. Chicken manure is considered "hot" and must be composted before adding it to the garden, etc. Otherwise, it may burn any plants it comes in contact with. I use regular fertilizer. I just move my run and yard fence to a different place and fert. I have ferted an area where I was moving my birds too but watered the area good where I ferted for a few days before I moved the birds there.

4. jaku

jaku Songster

The problem with using chicken manure is that I have a one acre yard, and I'm already using the manure I get by moving my tractor twice daily, so I need some actual bagged fertilizer to spread. I know pesticides and chemicals should be avoided when birds are to be put in the area, but is fertilizer a problem? The birds that will be going into the fertilized area are meat birds, also, so I really don't want any harmful chemicals.

5. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    What about the organic fertilizers that you can buy that won't burn the grass and that dogs can go on? I haven't fertilized in a few years now but I used to buy the organic slow release fertilizer and I think it was fairly safe. I would stay away from any that have weed killers or anything like that. Go read a few bags and see what they say.

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Microlife! Best organic fertilizer there is!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  7. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Songster

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    Jaku go to Fertrell .com they are all natural and find a dealer near you ,just about everything i use comes from Fertrell.

Aaron

8. jaku

jaku Songster

How about Milorganite? I called the company and they claim it's safe for the birds, all natural, no chemicals, etc. Plus, it's only $11/bag.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  9. goldenluver

goldenluver Songster

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    this is not a fertilizer,but it will turn your lawn dark green, epsinsalts. itis one of the ingredients in fertilizers.

10. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I doubt that even organic fertilizer is a good thing for chickens to eat. That's the problem, they may eat it. Organic or not, you would be feeding all that nitrogen and such.

Organic does not mean safe.

I imagine goldenluver means epsom salts. I wouldn't want my meat birds eating all that magnesium, either.

I'd wait til the birds are processed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: