safe guard goat dewormer

Chickenslol

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
idk man, no clue
i’m about to worm my chicken (singular) and i just wanted to check in doing this right. i’ve separated her and i will separate her for the entirety of the dose, but not in the waiting period. i’m going to give 1/4 mil per pound, soaked in bread because i can’t find a syringe. i’ll do that dose every day for four days, wait ten days, than four more and she should be good? am i correct??? she’s the only one showing symptoms and she’s had them for months so i’m only doing her for now, then maybe the others if they start to have the same thing. i’ve got enough to go around. it’s the safe guard liquid goat wormer correct?

I would go ahead and worm her, but she may have something else going on. Crops can become slow if there is a crop impaction, sour crop, or if they have another problem happening such as coccidiosis or a reproductive infection. You could try treating with Corid (amprollium) for possible coccidiosis after worming, just to rule that out. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The same fecal float can check for worms and coccidiosis, but sometimes it is easier just to treat for those. Corid is very safe, as well as the SafeGuard. Unfortunately sometimes we do not know why a chicken is sick. A necropsy after death can be done by the state vet to help determine what was wrong. I do necropsies on every chickens that I lose, and many times have found a cause. Hopefully the worming helps, and she gets better.
she’s been wormed! it ended up be such a small dose (she weighed almost exactly three pounds) that i only needed one piece of bread. i’ll continue this, and if no improvement than Corid it is

I would go ahead and worm her, but she may have something else going on. Crops can become slow if there is a crop impaction, sour crop, or if they have another problem happening such as coccidiosis or a reproductive infection. You could try treating with Corid (amprollium) for possible coccidiosis after worming, just to rule that out. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The same fecal float can check for worms and coccidiosis, but sometimes it is easier just to treat for those. Corid is very safe, as well as the SafeGuard. Unfortunately sometimes we do not know why a chicken is sick. A necropsy after death can be done by the state vet to help determine what was wrong. I do necropsies on every chickens that I lose, and many times have found a cause. Hopefully the worming helps, and she gets better.
final update time! she’s much better, i suspect a sour crop was also in play, but who knows. she’s outside and doing great, her last treatment was yesterday. we used the food dye method on her vent so we can know when she’s laying. just waiting for an egg now and for her comb to go back to normal. we’ll give it ten days before we start eating the eggs as well. here’s her yesterday
65051BE7-52A3-4C82-94C1-02377A2BD178.jpeg

The dosage is 1/4 per pound given orally for 5 straight days and no further dosage is needed. That treats all chicken worms except tapeworms, a rare type. To only treat roundworms, the dosage is given once and repeated in 10 days.
I wish I saw this post sooner. I couldnt find the dosage notes when using that wormer. I intend to worm my breeding roosters, and my main target is round worm, but I'd like to kill off anything else they might have. Thanks!

The dosage is 1/4 per pound given orally for 5 straight days and no further dosage is needed. That treats all chicken worms except tapeworms, a rare type. To only treat roundworms, the dosage is given once and repeated in 10 days.
if i treat will i see results directly after? i’m seeing signs of round worms (comb shrinking, weight loss, no appetite, delayed crop emptying and isolation) would it be better to treat for roundworms just in case?

I would treat for all chickens worms with the 5 day dosage. You may or may not see dead worms in droppings. You can get a fecal float before or after to see if there are worm eggs in the droppings. Take in some fresh droppings to your vet, it they are willing to do this.

What part of the world are you located? How old are the chickens and do they lay eggs nornally? Have they molted recently? Reproductive disorders may cause a pale shrunken comb, and can lead to crop problems.

I would treat for all chickens worms with the 5 day dosage. You may or may not see dead worms in droppings. You can get a fecal float before or after to see if there are worm eggs in the droppings. Take in some fresh droppings to your vet, it they are willing to do this.

What part of the world are you located? How old are the chickens and do they lay eggs nornally? Have they molted recently? Reproductive disorders may cause a pale shrunken comb, and can lead to crop problems.
i’m in massachusetts, we do. or have a vet that will treat chickens and we just canceled our most recent appointment to deworm first because it was going to be a lot of money. we have little sparrows that live around our coop and we’re thinking that my one chicken maybe ate something and picked up one of their worms. i’m just gonna treat the one chicken because she is the only one who is sick and she’s really sick now. she’s 10 months, no molting, no eggs for at least two weeks, and she was laying fine before. if not worms than lead poisoning is next

she’s doing much better! the other night she pooped a TON and ate a lot, she loves rice which is great because we have plenty of it. her crop was full for the first time in a while as well. my only worry is that she looks lonely, we’re separating her for the entirety of her treatment, though i’d prefer to separate her until she lays eggs again i don’t think it’s realistic considering. could we put another chicken in with her?

Back
Top Bottom