Safe plants around run?

Pullet Press

Songster
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
Any herbs that you recommend? Thinking about hanging things that will deter pests and that if they eat might be good for them. I need something for afternoon sun in hot florida.
Basil, parsley, and oregano. Oregano deters pests, parsley helps your chickens' digestion, and basil can get so big (if you forget to prune it) that it'll make an amazing shade plant.

CluckerFamily

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
I have a trumpet vine growing on the south side of the coop/detached garage. The trumpet vine was there when I bought the house. The chickens don't eat it but trumpet vines spread by the root and if you cut the vine or any new sprouts that pop up, the root system gets stronger.

mlahodik

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
Vero Beach, FL
Basil, parsley, and oregano. Oregano deters pests, parsley helps your chickens' digestion, and basil can get so big (if you forget to prune it) that it'll make an amazing shade plant.
Are chickens OK around rosemary? I have several rosemary plants that are growing like breeds. Every time I walk near it and brush it, I get this amazing aroma. I can add, oregano, basil, parsley too!

Pullet Press

Songster
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
Are chickens OK around rosemary? I have several rosemary plants that are growing like breeds. Every time I walk near it and brush it, I get this amazing aroma. I can add, oregano, basil, parsley too!
They like it. It's also high in Vitamin E, which is really good for them.

lyleg5895

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
Towanda, IL
We have morning glory that grows naturally all over our property and the chickens don't seem to mess with it. You can also put hardware cloth around anything you don't want them to destroy until it's well established.

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
We have morning glory that grows naturally all over our property and the chickens don't seem to mess with it.
Morning glory is toxic but since your chickens leave it alone it's not an issue for you. Mine also ignore it. However chickens that have access only to morning glory and no other plants could potentially pick at it, which would be a concern.

DuckinDonutsBensalem

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
Pennsylvania
I have young ducks in PA. Our growing season is winding down. They have devoured the last of my green beans and herbs like dill, oregano, basil and parsley. They got into my garden and loved and ate my swiss chard. I would love to grow veining things that around their pen for them in the spring. Following this post.

Top Bottom