Safe plants around run?

Any herbs that you recommend? Thinking about hanging things that will deter pests and that if they eat might be good for them. I need something for afternoon sun in hot florida.
Basil, parsley, and oregano. Oregano deters pests, parsley helps your chickens' digestion, and basil can get so big (if you forget to prune it) that it'll make an amazing shade plant.

I have a trumpet vine growing on the south side of the coop/detached garage. The trumpet vine was there when I bought the house. The chickens don't eat it but trumpet vines spread by the root and if you cut the vine or any new sprouts that pop up, the root system gets stronger.

Basil, parsley, and oregano. Oregano deters pests, parsley helps your chickens' digestion, and basil can get so big (if you forget to prune it) that it'll make an amazing shade plant.
Are chickens OK around rosemary? I have several rosemary plants that are growing like breeds. Every time I walk near it and brush it, I get this amazing aroma. I can add, oregano, basil, parsley too!

We have morning glory that grows naturally all over our property and the chickens don't seem to mess with it. You can also put hardware cloth around anything you don't want them to destroy until it's well established.

We have morning glory that grows naturally all over our property and the chickens don't seem to mess with it.

Morning glory is toxic but since your chickens leave it alone it's not an issue for you. Mine also ignore it. However chickens that have access only to morning glory and no other plants could potentially pick at it, which would be a concern.

I have young ducks in PA. Our growing season is winding down. They have devoured the last of my green beans and herbs like dill, oregano, basil and parsley. They got into my garden and loved and ate my swiss chard. I would love to grow veining things that around their pen for them in the spring. Following this post.

I know this is an old post but wanted to add a few things. My last flock of chickens loved tomatoes! I grew them their own vines right up the outside of the run, which eventually grew into the run. It was very funny to watch them jump and grab the ripe tomatoes right off the vine! I also grew loofah the same way outside and over the run. They would peck holes into the gourds and eat them bit by bit off the vine. Any melon or pumpkin would be a fun and tasty treat to grow over and into the run.

Back
Top Bottom