Safe plants around run?

Petermariah

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
I would like to plant a flowering vine on the back side of my run and I keep seeing conflicting information on what plants are chicken safe. Does anyone have any advice on some pretty flowering vines that would be safe? I live in South Texas so must be very heat tolerant and would be a partial shade area as there is a tree close by.

I wouldn't stress too much about chicken-safe things, they will avoid most (if not all) poisonous plants unless they are starving or extremely bored. They might just take a couple test nibbles before moving on to tastier things (lol)

Depends on the wire of your run. If you have wire with large holes, the chicken heads will reach out pretty far. If you used tiny hole hardware cloth then the chickens will not be able to teach out of their run at all, so you can plant right up against the run.

With bigger run wire, you would need to place the plant far away enough that the birds can grab leaves, but not the stalk/main stem.

With a super climber, like grape vines, you could make a trellis far enough away from the run wall that you can walk between the two, but then have the grapes climb over the top of the run for shade. Those wild spanish grapes grow like crazy, and would be a great choice.

You could also hang flower baskets full of trailing plants on the outside of the run, then some of the trailing parts might get eaten, but the rest of the plant would be safe from chickens.

No Lantana, I think all are poisonous. I think most verbena is safe. Moonvine is poisonous, as is Carolina Jasmine.

Oh, a climbing rose is also a great choice.

You could also hang flower baskets full of trailing plants on the outside of the run, then some of the trailing parts might get eaten, but the rest of the plant would be safe from chickens.

No Lantana, I think all are poisonous. I think most verbena is safe. Moonvine is poisonous, as is Carolina Jasmine.

Oh, a climbing rose is also a great choice.
I love the hanging basket idea, maybe I will do that with mine!

Any herbs that you recommend? Thinking about hanging things that will deter pests and that if they eat might be good for them. I need something for afternoon sun in hot florida.

Any herbs that you recommend? Thinking about hanging things that will deter pests and that if they eat might be good for them. I need something for afternoon sun in hot florida.
Lavender and marigolds deter mosquitoes.
Chickens love all herbs and they will eat what they need.

Back
Top Bottom