Safe, secure way to attach tractor run to coop

duckduck

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 12, 2008
Trussville, AL
What is a good type of latch to fasten the run to the coop? I have it temporarily held together with 2 screws but I need something easier to dismantle because I take it apart and move it usually about once a week. Any ideas? I thought about using something like this but can't figure out exactly how to make it work. Here is a pic of the tractor in question(it now has a roof though, lol)>

DSC02640.jpg

I'd suggest a short length of big heavy chain bolted to each side (not a loop, just a straight piece, maybe a few or half-a-dozen links long) that you affix to the other structure with a padlock. That will give you some flexibility in how the two pieces mate up. You just don't want the chain to be so long that a critter could pry an opening wide enough to squeeze through. For a fairly high or wide run, you might want more than just two of these chain connectors.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Two screw eyes on each side of tractor, and one screw eye on each side of coop. A drop rod for each side, L - shaped. Simple, and quick and fit is not precise. Drill hole in drop rods and put small wire thru each and attach to frame to prevent losing.

I was thinking about twist hasp.

they look like a normal "padlock" hasp, but you twist the loop 90 degrees to lock it...I use them on all my windows, and doors. it is kinda a latch, and hasp in one. Has worked well for me, and there is no slop in it.

just my two cents.

Good luck.
TNT

Back
Top Bottom