Safe temps for chickens inside coop

Thanks @Suzz ! Mine are currently in a covered run awaiting their coop move-in date (I'm still waiting for the windows I ordered a month ago...) Snow is in the forecast for us this week, so I gotta get the girls inside...I think I'll be stapling hardware mesh and plastic on the window holes tomorrow!

Welcome!
If your insulating board isn't covered with plywood, or at least particle board, your chickens will demolish it, and probably eat some. Also, if there's any way for rodents to gain access to these insulated walls, they will colonize the walls and if rats, will kill your chickens. Been there, done that.
For looks, actual windows are nice. The screens are useless, you need hardware cloth, well secured, over every opening. Our coop windows are hardware cloth covered openings, with sheet vinyl over them for winter. Having a top hinged shutter, window like or wood, give you a chance to have them open for ventilation all year, on the leeward side of the coop.
Staples aren't secure enough, BTW, even fencing staples. Attach the hardware cloth that way first, and then cover the edges with wood strips, screwed into the framing.
Pictures and dimensions of your coop and run would be helpful here!
Insulating the roof is good, again, so chickens and rodents can't take it all out. It's most useful in summer to keep things cooler.
Mary

Its going to be below freezing tonight, 28 degrees. I have a small coop. Chickens are healthy, 8 months old...there are 6 of them.

Last night it was also below freezing. Inside the coop got down to 31 degrees.

I have a Brinsea brooder heater I can put in there, but I do not have a thermostat to put on it. Should I put the heater in or will they be ok?
I bring any chicken younger than 1 year old inside the garage when it gets lower than 70 here.

Thanks @Suzz ! Mine are currently in a covered run awaiting their coop move-in date (I'm still waiting for the windows I ordered a month ago...) Snow is in the forecast for us this week, so I gotta get the girls inside...I think I'll be stapling hardware mesh and plastic on the window holes tomorrow!
Supply issues are real we had a metal building put up for hay storage mid September and we still dont have a door for it cause they are on back order hope they come in before serious snow happens

Hey folks, I'd like to weigh in because I have the same basic question as @Mishyk

I live in the frozen tundra of Minnesota, where 45 BELOW is not unusual. This is my first year keeping chickens and I am almost finished transforming my ancient 10x12' potting shed into their coop. I even insulated the thing with 2" foam boards.

I have 16 chickens --a mix of buff/lavender orpingtons, black australorps, and dark brahmas -- all heavy breeds that do well in the cold. They're seven months old.

So...do I need a heater? Or, more to the point: how cold is too cold for chickens?
If your warmest point of the day is -20F, for weeks on end.... I would call that "cold enough to do 'stuff' "

And true temp, not wind chill, real feel whatever.

So... 'stuff' varies. It could be putting a light on a timer so they have 10 to 12 hours of light to eat 20% protein feed. Or, it could mean you house them with your goats.

I go over different heating choices in my article on cold weather chicken care. (In my sig line... if on a phone turn it sideways).

Here it might get down to -20F some nights, not often, and less cold during the day. Plenty cold enough! We have a light on 3am to 8am every morning, so the birds are eating way before actual dawn, and have heated water available too. The coop is always a bit warmer than outside, and not too humid.
I'd probably add a heat lamp if it was consistently super cold too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom