Safe to eat eggs from hen eating medicated chick starter?

jimk

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 16, 2009
Central Kenucky
Until about 8 weeks ago I had just one lone barred rock hen who despite being at least 10 months old has only laid a few times and not at all since December. So when our chicks got old enough to move out to the big coop and there were no signs flock integration troubles I wasn't worried if she ate the chick starter along with the others. Well after three days wouldn't you know that hen started laying like clockwork and hasn't stopped since? I figure maybe the extra protein in the starter was all she needed. I don't really have a way to segregate her so that she isn't eating the medicated starter, and I'd hate to waste the half bag I have left by switching to a non-medicated starter, so the big question is: Is it safe to eat the eggs, or at least what is the real risk? The feed is Purina's medicated starter/grower purchased from TSC. The label says to feed that all the way up until they reach laying age at 18-20 weeks, but doesn't say anything about an egg withdrawal period. I think the only medication in it is for building up a resistance to coccidosis.
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Jim

You wouldn't be getting enough medication from eating the eggs to affect you. It certainly isn't toxic. Eat the eggs!!

Back
Top Bottom