Safe to eat eggs out of fridge for 6-7 hours?

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
I have family visiting, and I would love to send them home with at least a dozen eggs but they have a 5 to 6 hour drive home. The eggs have been in the fridge for a few days and are cold, but are they safe to eat if they take them home and put them back in the fridge?

I know some people dont refridgerate eggs at all, but I was just wondering if the safety is compromised once they've already been refridgerated?

I don't think they'll be unsafe to eat. I've used eggs that have sat out all night, after having been refrigerated. No problem. Then again, I've kept fresh eggs in a box on our kitchen counter for weeks.

For safety, though, I would keep them out of direct sunlight and intense heat. Washing eggs is probably more compromising than moving them in and out of refrigeration.

I have eaten eggs that have been chilled and then were left out and were at room temperature for a week. I have also taken refigerated eggs on camping trips and they have been uncooled for three days in a tent and they were still good. I can't say the marshmellos faired so well, all melted togther and stuck to the bag.

It may interest you to know that the French do not refrigerate eggs at all.

Quote:
It freaks my family out when they come over and see eggs sitting on the counter. By the time they're ready to leave (usually several hours later) somebody just has to say something about the eggs I 'forgot' to put away. The horrified looks on their faces when I mention that those eggs have been there a few days is just priceless!
gig.gif

The last time I was in Germany I searched all over the refrigerated section of the grocery store for the eggs. Finally I had to ask. I'd forgotten that they're not kept refrigerated

I think I read a post somewhere on this site that talks about methods of egg preservation. Just sitting around on the counter without refrigeration, the eggs stayed fresh an awfully long time.

Eggs are not kept in supermarkets in the fridge in GB. They last 3-4 weeks at least that way,
S.....eat up.....no worries,
Sandie

I never frig my eggs. I have to many. Eggs cook better when not cold also. As long as they are kept out of sun in the car they will be fine. You can keep eggs on conter for a month if they last that long.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom