Safe to hatch eggs 4 wks after worming with equimax?

Toloache

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2020
I had a tapeworm issue recently & treated several of my hens for tapeworm with equimax. It worked well & has been 4 wks after last dose - we did 3 wks egg withdrawal and have been eating our eggs since that ended with no noticeable problems. My favorite little silkie hen went broody a few days after her 2nd dose of equimax. I avoided giving her eggs to sit on because I worried that the trace amounts of wormer present in the yolk would harm to developing chick, but it's now been a month and she is quite mad at me for taking eggs away from her every day :( I realize equimax isn't approved for chickens, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with hatching eggs after using equimax or ivermectin? I've been looking for some hatching eggs from another chicken person locally, but haven't yet found what I'm looking for (I don't want to hatch just any eggs.... have way too many chickens already!) I'd love to give her some eggs to hatch soon!

I have never used either medicine. However, if the safe to eat withdrawal period is over, I would assume that the medicine has left the body of the hen and her eggs would be safe to set.

Or you could set eggs from untreated birds, like from another chicken person's flock.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom