Safe to keep baby chicks in flock?

Pics
Oct 22, 2022
East Coast
Hey there! I have ten hens and a rooster. I don't have a broody hen right now, but next hatch I was wondering if it would be safe to keep any chicks with mama in the main coop with everybody. Any ideas? I did my second hatch ever about 5 weeks ago and put the two chicks away from mama. I would love to keep chicks with mama so they would not need to be introduced to the flock. Thank you so much!

Hey there! I have ten hens and a rooster. I don't have a broody hen right now, but next hatch I was wondering if it would be safe to keep any chicks with mama in the main coop with everybody. Any ideas? I did my second hatch ever about 5 weeks ago and put the two chicks away from mama. I would love to keep chicks with mama so they would not need to be introduced to the flock. Thank you so much!

I wouldnt the others will kill them and eat them
They won’t if they are with their mama hen.

@Chicken Mamma01 When you have your next broody, keep her nest in the coop but isolated from the other birds. When the chicks hatch, give them a few days to learn how to obey their mother, and then you can let them out. The mother will protect them from the other birds and they will grow up as part of the flock.

You might even find that their dad helps to raise them. That will depend on the personality of the rooster.

I had two broodys this year. This first hatched in the coop and took the chicks out in the run on about day 3 and everyone was happy and healthy the whole time. The second broody hatched hers in the coop in July and the chicks wouldn’t stay under her (because of the heat I think?) and we’re vulernable and one of them got snatched up by a an adult the day it was born and got it’s leg broken before I could get it away and save it. I would up raising that batch myself.

I say all that to say it could be 100 percent fine and it could not be. Depends on the mama, the babies, and the demeanor of the rest of your birds.

I will add that it is SO nice for them to be in there the whole time. Makes things super super easy.

I had a broody hatch 5 littles this summer in the coop and had zero issues, she was not separated in any way, but do keep in mind sometimes things don't go as planned. As far as integrating your chicks, pics of your setup would help. Ideally, they should be kept in a separate area where the bigs can see them but not touch them for 2-3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom