Safe to use oil filled radiator? Also ?'s on dehumidifier

Oh so that just heats the water. I saw a small space heater at the hardware store I think I might use that with one of those thermo cubes, thanks for the suggestion tho.

Yes it just keeps the water from freezing, actually. It's all we use. No heater. We 've never had frost-bitten combs or wattles or any kind of injury due to cold. The birds don't seem to mind the cold as they are wearing their big fluffy down jackets all the time anyway... ;)

I have dealt with this for the past 2 winters, the metal water pail with the heater is great, I have the sealed oil filled radiator and made a cage for it from chicken wire that keeps all creatures about 8 inches from it and the whole aviary is on a thermostat switch. In fact I just built a second room onto aviary and added second heater unit for my new Silkies.
Parakeets' cage has an electric perch that keeps warm and all nesting boxes have the electric mats under them. The whole kit and caboodle runs off one power strip from extension cord to my garage about 10 feet away, no open wires or plugs can be accessed by birds.
Last thing I added was a comfortable chair so I can hide in there with my birds and read during those cold winter mornings.....(need to teach birds to make coffee)

I have dealt with this for the past 2 winters, the metal water pail with the heater is great, I have the sealed oil filled radiator and made a cage for it from chicken wire that keeps all creatures about 8 inches from it and the whole aviary is on a thermostat switch. In fact I just built a second room onto aviary and added second heater unit for my new Silkies.
Parakeets' cage has an electric perch that keeps warm and all nesting boxes have the electric mats under them. The whole kit and caboodle runs off one power strip from extension cord to my garage about 10 feet away, no open wires or plugs can be accessed by birds.
Last thing I added was a comfortable chair so I can hide in there with my birds and read during those cold winter mornings.....(need to teach birds to make coffee)

Sounds awesome!

I don't heat my coop. I have 5 gal buckets with nipples for water in the coop so I got submersible bucket heaters. Looks like picture below. I also have the heated buckets but those are outside due to happy, splashy ducks that like to make everything wet. As for eggs, I've only had a handful of frozen eggs in the past on the below 10 degree F days from eggs laid later in the day.

I didn't see it mentioned here yet but I think it's important to point out the issue of acclimation. It can be difficult for birds to deal with very cold outside temps if their coop is kept warm. Their bodies need to get used to the cold. If the coop absolutely needs to be kept heated, it should only be right around/above freezing.

shoppingheater.jpg

x2
If you are heating the coop and the birds are used to warm temps all winter - they will really suffer when the April snowstorm comes through and knocks out power for a couple of days. Let the birds acclimate to the cold winter temps and work to keep the water from freezing. Cold temps won't kill them if they are used to it.

Back
Top Bottom