Safe treats for young chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FlewTheCoop, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Shredded cheese and yogurt. With those 2 there is no need for grit. It's funnnnny to watch them with the shredded cheese.[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I too would be concerned about grapes and other fruits for very young chicks. Fruits tend to loosen things up in the poop dept. [​IMG] and you don't want chicks with diarrhea.
    I gave my young chicks plain yogurt and chopped hard boiled eggs. Two things that are tolerated well. I added other treats slowly after that. They really do need the complete nutrition of their chick starter more than anything.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I released a carton of crickets into my brooder the other day.
    hilarious!

1 person likes this.
  4. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    great to know. i have 5 day olds.
    cannot wait to see what others have to write.

grit..how much do you give them?

we did find 3 really small worms yesterday and my kids gave to the chicks...wow...too funny!

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i've always done it at a ratio of 1-10/grit to feed.

also, about the sugar in grapes. if you have 25 chicks in a brooder and give them a few chopped up grapes, they all usually get their fair share.

we all gotta remember, treats are treats. they aren't something you should let them fill up on, it can be unhealthy. it would be just like eating candy and ice cream every day. even though alot of us would like to, its not very good for us.

treats are a good thing to give them though! it gives them enrichment, bugs provide extra protien, and it makes the bond between you and your birds stronger [​IMG]

6. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  7. brenda+2

brenda+2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    We have six 3-week old black sex links and since they were about a week old, we have been giving them a clump of grass - with the dirt - and a few chopped up worms. They love it!

8. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    sounds like a healthy treat to me!

[​IMG]

9. RainbowFlower

RainbowFlower Out Of The Brooder

I tried my 3 week old chickies with some yoghurt. They hated it. I tried them with some strawberry - hated it. Some tomato - hated it too. They love their crumbles. But they hated them wet. All of the things people have suggested here they don't seem to like.

Except "spaghetti worms" - those are hilarious. They really think they are real worms and take off running, with the others in hot pursuit. Better than TV.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

As youngsters they are sometimes too afraid of things to try them. They'll grow out of that stage.

Mine love bugs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by