Safe?

The first 1/2” netting is to keep the other birds and smaller creatures out. The second plastic fencing layer Is to make it more difficult to rip open the first layer and add stability to the netting. My proposed third layer will be wire poultry netting.
That scenario is going to hold all the snow...and it will be hard to knock off as the holes are small.
Mine run roof is 2x4 welded wire, most snow goes right thru,
but if the snow starts to stick and pile up it definitely sags and has to be knocked off.

That scenario is going to hold all the snow...and it will be hard to knock off as the holes are small.
Mine run roof is 2x4 welded wire, most snow goes right thru,
but if the snow starts to stick and pile up it definitely sags and has to be knocked off.
With 2x4 holes how to you guard against predators? Is there another way?

With 2x4 holes how to you guard against predators? Is there another way?

I think aart and I have similar approaches - simply put, we're usually home during the day so we can hear and react to predator threats and thus the runs aren't optimally predator proofed. Once dusk comes, the birds are locked in the coop to lessen risk of predation at night.

I don't have predators that small who prowl during the day. My biggest problems are hawk and foxes. Plus, I have electric netting around my set up.

Maybe I am being a bit over protective. My coop at night is very secure. In my last run I had a bantam rooster pulled through a very small opening during the day. I do worry if I am too late getting home some evenings.

Maybe I am being a bit over protective. My coop at night is very secure. In my last run I had a bantam rooster pulled through a very small opening during the day. I do worry if I am too late getting home some evenings.

Not at all. If you aren't usually around and have had problems with predators in the past, it's normal to want to make sure it doesn't happen again!

I have my run netted over because a hawk got one of my girls while I was gone for 30 min getting groceries. :hmm

You are talking to the girl who slept in the livingroom with the window open in case something went wrong! I have considered getting a baby monitor, too - lol! 🤣 🤣 🤣

I have hardware cloth around the "walls" of my run. It's only the roof that has larger openings. And, again, I don't have to worry about weasels or mink or what have you. And nothing could reach through the sides of my run.

But I SO feel you!

I think aart and I have similar approaches - simply put, we're usually home during the day so we can hear and react to predator threats and thus the runs aren't optimally predator proofed. Once dusk comes, the birds are locked in the coop to lessen risk of predation at night.
Exactly.

Maybe I am being a bit over protective.
Nope....but due to the snow load, you'll need to go another way.
Solid and well framed roof.
You've already got a good start there with those large posts sticking up to attach the roof framing to.

Exactly.

Nope....but due to the snow load, you'll need to go another way.
Solid and well framed roof.
You've already got a good start there with those large posts sticking up to attach the roof framing to.
It will take much more than those vertical 2x4's to carry the load of just the roof. Add snow into the equation and it becomes a recipe for disaster.

Back
Top Bottom