Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

I worm in water so have no idea about putting meds in feed. Why would hard water make a difference? We have it here and in 8 years of worming I've never had a problem. Your question about worming during molting is interesting. You might post the question direct to "Resolution" that is active at posting on backyardchickens. If you get an answer could you please share it. Back to worming.....I do pour the water with wormer in it back and forth from their water bucket to another bucket to keep it mixed well at least a couple times a day.

Some minerals in hard water might interact with certain medications.

-Kathy

SafeGuard or fenbendazole is known to cause feather problems when used during a molt. SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer and equine paste, and Panacur equine paste dosage is 1/2 ml orally per bird, and it is to be given directly into the beak and swallowed. The dose is repeated in 10 days. It can also be given on a small piece of bread. It does not mix well with water or food, and is not meant to be used that way. Valbazen is another good wormer and dosage is 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days. It can be used during a molt.
IMO and experience safeguard mixes very well with food, i mean think about it if you worm them then they eat it is gonna get mixed up in there somewhere
wink.png
all i know is i been worming mine in their feed 3 to 6 times a year depending on the weather andi have never seen any kind of problems in the last 4 yearsi have had peas,

Ya know i had always read that peas wormed during breeding season will produce eggs that will be infertile and i found that to be false also , so perhaps it can happen in some cases but not necessarily all cases
wink.png

Mabe that is what happen to Kung-Fu-Henny ..she is one ugly chick during a molt
ep.gif

That link also says that to treat capillary worms in chickens at a much lower dose for five days... Have some homework to do, lol.

-Kathy

Stand in line for a phone? I think not, lol. The ipad we have is an older tablet that Mike's company gave to all the employees a few years ago. Now our internet is down, so I'm doing this post from my POS LG phone. Sigh...

LOL hear about folks standing in line day and night for all kinds of new gadgets, makes me wonder what kind of job they have where they can get time off to do these things , it is crazy to do such a thing IMO, i don't mind waiting been patient all my life i like seeing how life plays out.

Back
Top Bottom