Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

FWIW, I'm about to put ten 3 month olds outside, so gonna reconsider my worming program with the 40 something that I'll need to worm shortly. Sigh...

Funny how my worming and medicating program is evolving... live and learn, lol.

-Kathy

When I really don't feel like catching them individually in low water consumption months I use .05% fenbendazole alfalfa based pellets and mix them in with the feed. I use the dosing info for turkeys listed on bag. This is .05% not the .5% used for horses. I haven't seen this listed as an option.

When I really don't feel like catching them individually in low water consumption months I use .05% fenbendazole alfalfa based pellets and mix them in with the feed. I use the dosing info for turkeys listed on bag. This is .05% not the .5% used for horses. I haven't seen this listed as an option.

I think we have brought this up before and I think the amount needed to get to something like 50mg/kg is huge.

-Kathy

Yea those pellets are to be used after the animal has been wormed real good first, those are like a maintenance kinda wormer, if they have a heavy worm load they could never eat enough of them pellets to get rid of all the worms.
I use to raise horses and goats and pigs so i am very familiar with this kind of wormer.

It is possible to worm them properly with the pellets, you just have to give a bunch. Need to do,the math on that one again.

-Kathy

FWIW, I'm about to put ten 3 month olds outside, so gonna reconsider my worming program with the 40 something that I'll need to worm shortly. Sigh...

-Kathy
I think I remember you poo pooing Valbazen but you should reconsider that position too. One time orally when you put them down. Every oral worming we do is with Valbazen for that reason.

I think I remember you poo pooing Valbazen but you should reconsider that position too. One time orally when you put them down. Every oral worming we do is with Valbazen for that reason.

I will have to ask my vet about Valbazen again. I asked her yesterday but all I remember her saying is that Safeguard was safer. I forgot exactly why the thought that. When I asked what she recommended, one or the other she said Safeguard, I figured that was good enough for me but I feel like I need to ask again as to why.

I used the calculator on the safeguard site http://marsyt.com/turkey.php It is for a six day dosing and I quadrupled it even then I had to use the .05% pellet and not the stronger .5% which the calcualtor is designed for.

They recommend 2.6oz per 50lbs of feed - I quadrupled this to 10.4oz per 50lbs of feed - then by using the lower percent wormer I get 104oz(6.5lbs) per 50 lbs of feed.

.05% wormer is sold in 50lb bags and I just use a 1 to 5 which is even more than above.

Key things to note
- This is a six day treatment
- This is at least 5 times more than on Safeguard site for Turkeys though is still not near 50mg/kg probably closer to 6mg/kg but use the horse product and it goes up to 60mg/kg body weight
- I do not do this as treatment. This is for routine preventative when everybody is healthy. I use Valbazen if any symptoms.
- I only do this 1 time a year (Rotation includes ivermectin and safeguard liquid for other times in a year, (Valbazen only if symptoms and haven't used in over 2 years))

-Kathy

I think I remember you poo pooing Valbazen but you should reconsider that position too.  One time orally when you put them down.  Every oral worming we do is with Valbazen for that reason.

Lol, I did, didn't I? Been thinking about it, but still have concerns about it and aplastic anemia. Maybe I'll test it on my chickens and ducks first. :D

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom