Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Cannot find 0.05% here:
http://www.safe-guard.com/

Found others I didn't know about, lol. Always trying to stay on top of what products are available. Which reminds me... there is a truly water soluble Fenbendazole available in Europe, it's called Aqua-Sol, I think, and it's 200mg/ml.

-Kathy

Last edited:
It is possible to worm them properly with the pellets, you just have to give a bunch. Need to do,the math on that one again.

-Kathy
IMO Sounds like a waist of money when a small amount of safeguard will work .
My vet informed me years ago to always worm them well before starting them on a daily wormes .

It is possible to worm them properly with the pellets, you just have to give a bunch. Need to do,the math on that one again.

-Kathy

IMO Sounds like a waist of money when a small amount of safeguard will work .
My vet informed me years ago to always worm them well before starting them on a daily wormes .

The liquid is less expensive.

-Kathy

Well, they day started out ok, DW said 'There's a coyote setting in the field watching the birds'. BOOM! Now there is a coyote laying in the field watching nothing.
celebrate.gif

Then went out to feed the flock, mixed up the Safeguard into the mash and was putting it into their bowls when I noticed that a little broody raised chick was feeling down. We noticed it yesterday coughing a bit but it looked worse today so we gave it a shot of Baytril. In about three minutes it was dead.
hit.gif
Now, these birds have been wormed recently with Safeguard in the water, 3ml per gallon and the fecal exam we did last week showed there to be round worm eggs. I started putting the correct amount into the mash and today was the second day of treatment.

We took the chick to the vet to have a necropsy done and this is what we found.

There was a black spot on the liver and two worms in it. The gut had around thirty more worms in it, most of them dead only a few were still moving. The vet said that the bird was likely going to die within a few hours anyway but the stress of being caught heightened the heart rate and the stress killed it. Most of the internal organs looked clean except the liver and gut.

The massive amount of worms dying could have been enough to cause a toxicity problem but they had not had time to decompose yet so the damage had already been done. Remember that these birds have already been through two worming treatments given in the water. The Safeguard in the food had killed most of the worms after one feeding.

The vet and I had talked about doing a one day worming on the grow out pen and following it up a week later with a five day worming. Any thoughts?

hugs.gif
WOW just WOW
hugs.gif

i have never seen such a thing, i check my birds when i process them and i have never seen worms like this in them, matter a fact i never seen any at all threw the years, how on earth can they grow that fast? eggs take a while to grow and hatch way more than a week, so sorry you are going threw this but there is something terribly wrong going on with that land i would disk and lime the heck out of it and do it again in the spring. how much land do you have ? are you in a run off area? like when it rains does everyones water come by your way? i have land like that, the water from the creek backs up on my front pasture and sometimes it floods my year and i have fish swimming in it for a while.
hugs.gif
WOW

hugs.gif
WOW just WOW
hugs.gif

i have never seen such a thing, i check my birds when i process them and i have never seen worms like this in them, matter a fact i never seen any at all threw the years, how on earth can they grow that fast? eggs take a while to grow and hatch way more than a week, so sorry you are going threw this but there is something terribly wrong going on with that land i would disk and lime the heck out of it and do it again in the spring. how much land do you have ? are you in a run off area? like when it rains does everyones water come by your way? i have land like that, the water from the creek backs up on my front pasture and sometimes it floods my year and i have fish swimming in it for a while.
hugs.gif
WOW

Hmmm, not sure where you are going with the land thing but here are the answers. First the chick was about three months old, its two siblings look fine. I have 160 acres. The runoff near where the birds range is only from about 500 yards to the top of the hill in my pasture. No one else has any run off onto my property except the spring fed creek. There has not been any fowl raised here for at least sixty years until last year. Flood water does not back up onto the ranging area the birds frequent.

We have treated some of the pens with lye, washed it into the soil, and covered with fresh sand. The coops we clean out and shake with lime and cover with fresh pine shavings. The ranging areas are not possible to disk and lime, although I did one field a few years ago when preparing it for planting clover.

Thanks for the condolences. Hopefully someone will learn from my misfortune.

This is an interesting read:
http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/phi/PHI/ROUNDWORMS PHI Handout from Dr. Smith.pdf

So sorry for your loss... Those that use the 3cc per gallon should be thinking about having routine fecals done, 'cause I can guarantee that if 3cc per gallon is ineffective in treating roundworms, there is no way it will treat cecal or capillary worms.

Again, sorry for you loss, but I believe you story will help some people. :D

-Kathy

Lol, I did, didn't I? Been thinking about it, but still have concerns about it and aplastic anemia. Maybe I'll test it on my chickens and ducks first.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
Yes you did! And i'll tell you why I remember an otherwise innocent post in a long past thread. Truthfully I kind of hated to see that, not that I thought the intent of your post was incorrect or wrong by any means but because your posts on this subject are highly respected. I believe there are lots of folks that will see your posts and CORRECTLY administer and dose peafowl with effective drugs. Your posts and the information in them regarding dosage are some of the best out there. We have two large notebooks that have a couple of hundred pages in each on both information from some of the biggest breeders around and other hard to find detailed information and I have more than once searched for a post of yours on the iPhone to just make sure I had a dosage correct in my head particularly with Corid. I just cannot keep that dosage in my head for some reason.

While I do not doubt that there may be or could be issues with Valbazen in some instances there are many sources that consider it both safe and highly effective in single dose applications. You know we would not be using it if we had not seen multiple large breeders use it effectively and long term without issue. I am not saying I believe it is as safe as fenbendazole but few drugs are.

Many (check that, almost all) of peafowl breeders drug applications are off label use or based upon anecdotal evidence. And most people treat based upon a very limited search on the internet as opposed to an extensive research effort. I would hate to think that there could be a single dose wormer that is highly effective that was dismissed by a significant number of people based upon the wording of that single post. I do not post much on drug use just because we generally do things much different. I do occasionally throw a zinger out there with regards to perception such as my continual prodding on the fact that while I agree that oral dosing is absolutely the best way to administer, we cannot all do that.

My local feed store is huge and they carry it. It is a generic brand around $27 for 50lb. If your local feed store doesn't carry it it is definitely not cost effective. I think liquid is always cheapest but in rainy months they are more likely to drink from a puddle than a waterer. Next time I go to the feed store I'll get the manufacturer.

. I do occasionally throw a zinger out there with regards to perception such as my continual prodding on the fact that while I agree that oral dosing is absolutely the best way to administer, we cannot all do that.
AugeredIn, I appreciate what you say in your post but I don't understand the last sentence. If oral dosing is the best way to administer medications why can't we all do it? I find it very easy to mix the meds into the feed.

Back
Top Bottom