Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

IMNSHO, the lesson to be learned here is that 3cc's Safeguard per gallon for 3 days is not likely to do Jack for roundworms, much less cecal worms or capillary worms. I mean no offense to those of you that do it, but the picture and post is proof positive to me that one should not rely on it.

Many thanks to KsKingBee for sharing this story... Hopefully his loss will prevent others from losing any of their birds.

Does anyone know where the 3cc gallon suggestion came from?

-Kathy
I think it came from years ago when a minimal amout was effective. Six grown peafowl drink around 1 gallon per day. Apparently after arsenic quit being used as a wormer people turned to safeguard but after years of use it has become nearly ineffective in many parts of the US as some people did not worm properly and caused resistant strains. If you are in one of those parts you will have to use very large doses of safeguard; if you are not the minimal amount might still work. I remember seeing a map for goats and Safeguard effectiveness somewhere.

As a side note I think there is still some mill out there that still uses arsenic it prevents blackhead as well. This is also where the old wives tale as to why you dont feed ducks and geese medicated chick starter came from. Ducks and geese are total pigs and they would eat past the lethal dose. Current medicated feed (amprollium) is nearly impossible to overdose on.

Five cc's in a gallon isn't likely to be very effective either. Think about it... If you were going to give it orally, how much would you give per bird? Let's pretend you have 5 hens, all about 4kg. If you were to dose them at 50mg/kg, which is what I do, you would need to put 10ml in an amount of water that they will drink in one day. Will five hens drink a gallon in one day? I honestly don't know.

-kathy[/quote

Didn't someone say they used more Safeguard then 5 cc in water? How much would I use if 5 cc isn't enough? I worm for 3 days and repeat in 10 to 14 days. Thanks much.

Bd, we can tell you how much to give them but we need to know
How many peas,
What sex
What age or weight they are.

If we know the above we can show you how to figure the dosage. Then it is up to you to get all of it into them. If it gets tossed out at the end of the day then they do not get an effective dose.

I think it came from years ago when a minimal amout was effective. Six grown peafowl drink around 1 gallon per day. Apparently after arsenic quit being used as a wormer people turned to safeguard but after years of use it has become nearly ineffective in many parts of the US  as some people did not worm properly and caused resistant strains. If you are in one of those parts you will have to use very large doses of safeguard; if you are not the minimal amount might still work. I remember seeing a map for goats and Safeguard effectiveness somewhere.

As a side note I think there is still some mill out there that still uses arsenic it prevents blackhead as well. This is also where the old wives tale as to why you dont feed ducks and geese medicated chick starter came from. Ducks and geese are total pigs and they would eat past the lethal dose. Current medicated feed (amprollium) is nearly impossible to overdose on.

When I keep 32 adult peas penned all day they dont drink a gallon of water. The highest consumption rate I have seen so far was during laying season when 12 peas would take almost one half gallon.

Quote:
I think someone looked at a bottle of Safeguard and decided that peafowl should get the same amount as goats and cattle (5mg/kg) and extrapolated that 3cc in one gallon was the magic number. People have been doing it for so long now that it is very hard for them to think it might not be correct, just like the 1/2 teaspoon Corid powder misinformation that people were doing for *years*.

Regarding the blackhead preventative, not positive, but I think Blue Seal might still make a turkey starter with it and one might still be able to get Histostat-50... Both, like you already said, are toxic to waterfowl and dogs.

-Kathy

Last edited:
From the UPA forum:
helen said:
Am i correct in thinking cc and ml are equivalent? In which case my regualr vet prescribed 5ml (of 10%panacure) administered down the throat per bird. This seemed quite a big dose (given i was reccommended 1.5 ml of 2.5% for them three months ago). So when i checked this an avian vet this morning he guessed an 9 month old bird would weigh between 2 - 3 kilos and so the dose (of 10% panacur administered down the throat) would be between 2 and 3 mls. Far more than you are suggesting (if cc and ml are equivalent). This is a bit complex, but i want to get it right. so thank you so much for your help Helen :?

Her vet was correct back in 2008. According to some studies, a single large dose is quite effective. How much you wanna bet that she ignored her vet and went with a lower dose. lol?
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom