Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

I've seen them use it in jewelry for earrings. One person bought some feathers from me to do so but she would only buy feathers that had eyes on them and a foot or less so she wasn't cutting off too much feather. That was like 10 or 15 feathers. I talked to a home décor place near me, it was before Christmas so she was changing everything to a Christmas spirit. She said to bring them back around Easter. Then she also asked since I raise peafowl if there is such thing as White peafowl and if possibly I had White peafowl and if the male had molted a train for me yet. I do have Whites but my male won't grow in his first train until this fall and then I have to wait a year so he will molt it. She said she would be more than willing to buy White peacock feathers. I was able to sell some at local floral shops as well. Lately there's been a trend of having a peacock wedding theme so the floral shops have been more than happy to buy feathers. I need to go see if the floral shops need more feathers. Also I sold some at my Orthodontist during one of my appointments. They heard I had peacocks and wanted peacock feathers. So far my market for people buy the most feathers at a time are floral shops. Past two times they would buy 20. Few years ago they bought 65 but now it's just been 20 feathers at a time.

I keep some of my feathers. I have two small vases in my room that have some color and white peacock feathers. Also I made this craft with the neck and train covert feathers.

While looking for information about fenbendazole and feather damage, I found this about Moxidectin. Looks like it might be a good one to consider as an alternative wormer:
http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/Moxidectin_product_review.html

Wormers in water... Sigh. Do you know that the ivermectins sold for cattle are *not* water soluble? If you doubt me, just put touch it and you'll see that it feels oily. If you still don't believe me, place some water in a clear glass, add a few ml of ivermectin, stir well, then come back in 30 minutes and you'll see it floating on the top. Or just google the product you're using with the letters MSDS (material data safety sheet). In it it should say if the product is water soluble.

Time for me to do another experiment, lol.

-Kathy

While looking for information about fenbendazole and feather damage, I found this about Moxidectin. Looks like it might be a good one to consider as an alternative wormer:
http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/Moxidectin_product_review.html

Wormers in water... Sigh. Do you know that the ivermectins sold for cattle are *not* water soluble? If you doubt me, just put touch it and you'll see that it feels oily. If you still don't believe me, place some water in a clear glass, add a few ml of ivermectin, stir well, then come back in 30 minutes and you'll see it floating on the top. Or just google the product you're using with the letters MSDS (material data safety sheet). In it it should say if the product is water soluble.

Time for me to do another experiment, lol.

-Kathy

Hello Kathy, you and I have discussed this before and I know you stand by ivermectin not being used in water but many disagree. I just scanned through the product info sheet and found nothing about it being or not being water soluble. I put some of the injectable ivermectin in water and stirred it. It mixed. I tasted it .... can taste tiny bitter taste. I'll keep it setting on the kitchen counter today and tomorrow to see if product separates from the water. When I'm worming I pour their medicated water from their water bucket to another and back at least once a day to keep it mixed. I would be more then happy to use a different method of worming if someone introduced something where the birds didn't have to be caught. Read my lips, LOL!! I can't catch 25 peafowl at my age (73) to orally put wormer in their mouths. I've tried putting in bread and other food but all of them won't swallow it. Ivermectin is bitter tasting. I guess I could use sweet potatoes but then have to make sure each bird gets their appropriate dose and could only do that one by one keeping the others from the food. How would I manage that? Tell me what else I can do that works. I've lost no birds from worms or illness.........if I had I guess I'd have to find another way but this is working for me (and others). Maybe the Dear Lord has a handle in it. I'm not relaxed in caring for my birds. I feed them better then most folks. I clean up their pens daily. They are pets like my precious dogs are so I wouldn't jeopardize their health. Will let you know how my experiment goes. I've heard people worm themselves with Ivermectin. Maybe I should chug-a-lug it when finished, hahahahaha!!!

Hello Kathy, you and I have discussed this before and I know you stand by ivermectin not being used in water but many disagree. I just scanned through the product info sheet and found nothing about it being or not being water soluble. I put some of the injectable ivermectin in water and stirred it. It mixed. I tasted it .... can taste tiny bitter taste. I'll keep it setting on the kitchen counter today and tomorrow to see if product separates from the water. When I'm worming I pour their medicated water from their water bucket to another and back at least once a day to keep it mixed. I would be more then happy to use a different method of worming if someone introduced something where the birds didn't have to be caught. Read my lips, LOL!! I can't catch 25 peafowl at my age (73) to orally put wormer in their mouths. I've tried putting in bread and other food but all of them won't swallow it. Ivermectin is bitter tasting. I guess I could use sweet potatoes but then have to make sure each bird gets their appropriate dose and could only do that one by one keeping the others from the food. How would I manage that? Tell me what else I can do that works. I've lost no birds from worms or illness.........if I had I guess I'd have to find another way but this is working for me (and others). Maybe the Dear Lord has a handle in it. I'm not relaxed in caring for my birds. I feed them better then most folks. I clean up their pens daily. They are pets like my precious dogs are so I wouldn't jeopardize their health. Will let you know how my experiment goes. I've heard people worm themselves with Ivermectin. Maybe I should chug-a-lug it when finished, hahahahaha!!!

They make Safeguard pellets. As for the measurement I'm not entirely sure.

There's to many ornaments on our Christmas tree. I've made calligraphy pens out of the sickle and eye feathers before. I need to try and find my pen again.

I need to worm my chickens again. I wormed with Eprinex in January with plans to follow 10 days later with Safeguard but had a death in the family. All off track now.

Does anyone know if I can do Safeguard FIRST, then follow with Eprinex? It's backwards so I am assuming there's a reason to do it one way vs the other?

Any suggestions? I have a young roo that is gaping and already did Corid on the flock BUT it's time to worm them properly after this crazy winter.

Thank you!

I need to worm my chickens again. I wormed with Eprinex in January with plans to follow 10 days later with Safeguard but had a death in the family. All off track now.

Does anyone know if I can do Safeguard FIRST, then follow with Eprinex? It's backwards so I am assuming there's a reason to do it one way vs the other?

Any suggestions? I have a young roo that is gaping and already did Corid on the flock BUT it's time to worm them properly after this crazy winter.

Thank you!

Just do Safeguard.

Thank you!! Will get them going today. Expecting snow again this week so it'll be a good time to get it over with!

Back
Top Bottom