Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Part of a peafowl facebook group I'm a part of I've been trying to set them straight. Peacocks Only group I see people recommending it and I say only put medicine in water when it says water soluble or if the medicine is giving directions when mixing with water.

That Doug Buffington, know here as Peacockman here on BYC tossed me out for doing just what you are trying to do. There are a load of people on that page and they keep getting misinformation from the god himself. Claude and a few others are trying to set things right but everyone has to walk on glass around there.

That Doug Buffington, know here as Peacockman here on BYC tossed me out for doing just what you are trying to do. There are a load of people on that page and they keep getting misinformation from the god himself. Claude and a few others are trying to set things right but everyone has to walk on glass around there.

Ks, there's where I keep running into issues. We all want our birds to be safe and there are sooooooooooooooo many posts on BYC it's an all day venture to find correct info at times. Wouldn't it be awesome if those posts could be deleted when they're either a typo or harmful things!?

All in all its the best site I've seen and the only chicken one I am on :)

Thank you to all of you for your help! And to add another area........it's taken me this long of being on BYC where I would feel comfortable tubing my chickens :D Thank you Casport

Ks, there's where I keep running into issues. We all want our birds to be safe and there are sooooooooooooooo many posts on BYC it's an all day venture to find correct info at times. Wouldn't it be awesome if those posts could be deleted when they're either a typo or harmful things!?

Thank you to all of you for your help! And to add another area........it's taken me this long of being on BYC where I would feel comfortable tubing my chickens :D Thank you Casport

Well, sure... but folks don't always agree who's right and who's wrong. Lots of opinions, and sometimes facts aren't clear, medicine is an art, they say, and then recommendations change over time. It''s just not that easy. Many different practices, many different practitioners. Lots of folks experiment or extrapolate cause sometimes there's just not comprehensive or current info to be had. Old practices get handed down, some are good, some are ineffective or even harmful.

Kinda like life in general, I guess
th.gif

That Doug Buffington, know here as Peacockman here on BYC tossed me out for doing just what you are trying to do.  There are a load of people on that page and they keep getting misinformation from the god himself.  Claude and a few others are trying to set things right but everyone has to walk on glass around there.

Misinformation is everywhere, including mfg websites like Jeffer's and Durvet. Both those sites list incorrect amounts for an oxytetracyline powder. It's not just a little off, it's way off. To prove it I bought a bag, weighed it, and did the math, but it won't matter, because people would rather believe the mfg's websites and catalogs than do some math.

Another misinformation pet peeve of mine is the Corid powder dose, where hundreds of posts say the dose is 1/2 teaspoon. Some of those posts might even be mine (oh, the shame, lol). Again, got the powder, weighed it, and did the math.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Misinformation is everywhere, including mfg websites like Jeffer's and Durvet. Both those sites list incorrect amounts for an oxytetracyline powder. It's not just a little off, it's way off. To prove it I bought a bag, weighed it, and did the math, but it won't matter, because people would rather believe the mfg's websites and catalogs than do some math.

Another misinformation pet peeve of mine is the Corid powder dose, where hundreds of posts say the dose is 1/2 teaspoon. Some of those posts might even be mine (oh, the shame, lol). Again, got the powder, weighed it, and did the math.

-Kathy

Yep, you're both right. And I still haven't learned how to use the multi quote button right *sigh*
I've been experimenting with Oxine Ah. It has some good and some odd. I fog the coops a few evenings a week. The good: I had a baby chick (Silkie) that fell in the water, marbles and all yet still managed to aspirate. I fogged her several times a day with a very fine mist, evenings too. She actually recovered! The bad: still waiting to see how good it works on the coops and such. This weather is causing my birds all types of crazy things I've never dealt with when they were outside 99% of the time further south. I think the sparrows are not helping matters either. A vet told me she's getting all sorts of issues with some wild birds and spreading Cocci. :(

I noticed that so many people keep asking for his attention to answer. Usually with White peafowl because he hasn't learned my methods I keep responding. The other problem that I've been having other than the worming issue is Spalding vs. Green. Holly crap it's beyond belief. I was actually expecting to get the boot the one time because a person was trying to convince everyone that he had Java Greens and they were Spaldings. Not the American Green like, no the hens had solid green necks brown shoulders, no blue/green shine, and the males would have half a solid wing and the other half barred. The neck was also solid green, not the right color or feather structure.

I noticed that so many people keep asking for his attention to answer. Usually with White peafowl because he hasn't learned my methods I keep responding. The other problem that I've been having other than the worming issue is Spalding vs. Green. Holly crap it's beyond belief. I was actually expecting to get the boot the one time because a person was trying to convince everyone that he had Java Greens and they were Spaldings. Not the American Green like, no the hens had solid green necks brown shoulders, no blue/green shine, and the males would have half a solid wing and the other half barred. The neck was also solid green, not the right color or feather structure.

Say, isn't that the fellow with the (ahem) "green-eyed" whites? Birdrain, your reputation is affected by the company you keep
old.gif

Say, isn't that the fellow with the (ahem) "green-eyed" whites? Birdrain, your reputation is affected by the company you keep
old.gif

Yep that's him. I'm not entirely sure I comprehend what you mean by the second part. I think it's because I'm over thinking it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom