Safeguard, AquaSol, Valbazen....

hiltopsassafras

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Can someone please clear this up.
Before AquaSol I see many used Safeguard 10% suspension diluted in water at 3ml per gallon. I am reading traditional Safeguard is Insoluble in water and go on to read that is toxic to aquatic life...then...go on to read that AquaSol just has smaller particles so it won't clog pipes.
What am I missing? My assumption is all "Safeguard" products are basically the same just different dilution and now with AquaSol the particles are smaller so more easily digested for chickens? IDK...none of it makes actual sense to me. Can I, or Can I not use Traditional Safeguard 10% suspension in a gallon of water to treat 50 twelve week old chicks successfully?

Valbazen, Is their a dosage to dilute this in Water per gallon. It is my preferred wormer for goats and suspect it is a good choice for chickens but orally dosing 50 chicks is going to be no easy task.

Thank you

Neither SafeGuard or Valbazen is water soluble. They settle out in the bottles, and must be shaken very well when drawing up dosage. When put into water, each one will settle out because they are suspensions (suspended for a time in water.) The SafeGuard Aquasol which costs about $280 last time I checked is the only one that works well in water.

Can someone please clear this up.
Before AquaSol I see many used Safeguard 10% suspension diluted in water at 3ml per gallon. I am reading traditional Safeguard is Insoluble in water and go on to read that is toxic to aquatic life...then...go on to read that AquaSol just has smaller particles so it won't clog pipes.
What am I missing? My assumption is all "Safeguard" products are basically the same just different dilution and now with AquaSol the particles are smaller so more easily digested for chickens? IDK...none of it makes actual sense to me. Can I, or Can I not use Traditional Safeguard 10% suspension in a gallon of water to treat 50 twelve week old chicks successfully?

Valbazen, Is their a dosage to dilute this in Water per gallon. It is my preferred wormer for goats and suspect it is a good choice for chickens but orally dosing 50 chicks is going to be no easy task.

Thank you
There's nothing saying that you have to worm all your birds at once. Valbazen is my preferred wormer as well. It's always best to worm each bird orally/individually. That way you know they got properly wormed.
In addition to what Eggcessive stated, wormers mixed in water is guesswork. You dont know if a chicken drank the treated water, or drank enough of the treated water to be effective, and sick birds rarely drink at all.

If your birds are in separate pens, simply worm birds in two pens the first day. Then the next two pens the second day, and so on until all birds have been wormed. Mark your calendar what day you wormed which pens, that way you can properly redose birds 10-14 days later.

You can worm your birds by breed: Mark your calendar.
The first day worm all your RIR's, Barred Rocks.
The second day worm all your Sex Links, Orpingtons, EE's.
Continue the third, fourth, fifth days with other breeds until worming is completed with all your birds.

If your birds are all the same breed, decide how many birds you want to worm the first day. You can have someone help you. The other person can hold the bird for you while you administer the wormer orally.
Once you have wormed the bird, have the other person put a visible black mark on both sides of the hens comb using a black felt tip marker to identify her as having been wormed.
Then the next day you can worm birds without the marked comb. Easy peasy.

I have 22 birds in 4 different pens. I orally worm all of them in about 45 minutes, and that's taking my time by myself.
It's best to worm them before letting them out of the coop in the mornings before sunrise.
Snatch one off the roost, worm her and let her go. Repeat this until all of them have been wormed.

Back
Top Bottom