Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal

This business of needing to deworm your birds has always made me think that allowing your chickens to free roam is not a good idea - also needing to throw away all those eggs over a period of time is so wasteful - then there is the possibility of not waiting long enough and eating contaminated eggs - when you give chickens dewormers you no longer have organic eggs or birds and store bought eggs might actually be healthier to eat -

This business of needing to deworm your birds has always made me think that allowing your chickens to free roam is not a good idea - also needing to throw away all those eggs over a period of time is so wasteful - then there is the possibility of not waiting long enough and eating contaminated eggs - when you give chickens dewormers you no longer have organic eggs or birds and store bought eggs might actually be healthier to eat -
Birds can be put up on wire, then there's no need to worm birds.
Benzimidazoles are very safe wormers and mostly excreted after dosing. A small percentage is absorbed into the blood stream. The residue in eggs is minute.
The water you and I drink probably has more contaminates than you'd want to know.
We eat eggs after dosing with benzimidazoles and pyrantel pamoate and a few other wormers. Still here typing after all these years.
If anyone wants to toss eggs after worming, do it. Dont eat the eggs if one suspects they might have an adverse reaction, and dont sell nor give away eggs to be eaten after worming.

Valbazen would require withdrawal if that sort of thing worries you, so would Safeguard if you use *any* of the doses mentioned in your thread.

However, if you were to use a very small dose of Safeguard 5 days in a row you would not need to toss the eggs. Safeguard in small doses for 5 days in a row is approved for use in laying hens.
View attachment 1949116
View attachment 1949117

The approved dose is 1 mg/kg for five days and that works out to ~0.023 ml per five pounds for five days.

If you don't want to hassle treating each bird you could try feeding it to them in a mash. If I were going to do that this is how I would do it.

1. Count number of birds to be treated.
  2. Estimate the weight of each bird.
  3. Calculate flock weight. For example, if you have 10 leghorns at ~4 pounds each and 10 RIR's at 6 pounds each, that's 100 pounds of birds.
  4. Calculate the amount of Safeguard needed. In my example it's 100 (weight of flock) divide by 2.2 (this converts to kg) times 1 (the dose needed) divide by 100 (the amount of medication in one ml) 100 ÷ 2.2 x 1 ÷ 100 = 0.45 ml
  5. Set aside the amount of pellets or crumbles they will eat in a day in a big container.
  6. Mix the 0.45 ml of Safeguard in some amount of water, two cups maybe? Add the water/Safeguard mixture to the crumbles, stir a little, then add more water until the feed is nice and wet. Mix *very* well.
  7. Repeat for five days and this should treat large roundworms and cecal worms, but will not treat capillary worms and this should not be done if your flock has capillary worms.
Note: If one has capillary worms in their flock a higher dose is needed and that higher dose will require egg withdrawal.

Please, always check my math, 'cause I do make lots of mistakes. :oops:

safeguard_syringe_1-png.1514442

http://www.dosagehelp.com/dosage_by_weight.html
It says to give .023 ml of the fenbendazole, my question is so I don’t screw this up is: I have a 3 ml syringe, what line do I fill it to, just a little over the 2? Sorry but don’t want to over dose. Thank you so much.

Just so I don’t screw this up and over dose, I have a 3 ml syringe, what line do I fill it to for .023 ml. I was thinking the second line? Thank you for your help.

Just so I don’t screw this up and over dose, I have a 3 ml syringe, what line do I fill it to for .023 ml. I was thinking the second line? Thank you for your help.

Get a 1ml syringe from the pharmacist the kind that they use for insulin. That is such a small dose it will even be hard to dose out with a 1ml syringe. Keep in mind that 0.100ml is 1/10 of a ml and 0.023ml is 1/4 of that.

JT

I rather does each bits individually, by giving them the deworming medication mixed in a small amount of a food they love to eat. But I guess if I had too many chickens it would be easier to add the meds for all of them to a bowl of food they can then eat communally, though I would worry that those on the low pecking order would get too low a dose and those on the top of the pecking order will get too high a dose.

Though I'ven ever seen worms in my small flock of 1 year old chicken's droppings, I've dewormed them twice, once with a natural dewormer in pellet form that I added to their winter breakfast porridge, and the 2nd time I used a powder dewormer that comes in capsules. For each chicken I mixed the content of 1 capsule to a very small amount, like a half a teaspoon, of wet cat food, which I don't normally feed my chickens, but they have on a couple of occasions gotten to the feral cats leftover cat food, eaten and loved it. I feed each the small amount of the food mixed with the dewormer and each ate it very quickly, so it took only a couple of minutes to treat 7 chickens.

Since we are supposed to not use the same dewormer in a row, I want to try Safeguard next, so if I can mix the dose for each chicken in a small amount of a treat food, that would be great.

Valbazen would require withdrawal if that sort of thing worries you, so would Safeguard if you use *any* of the doses mentioned in your thread.

However, if you were to use a very small dose of Safeguard 5 days in a row you would not need to toss the eggs. Safeguard in small doses for 5 days in a row is approved for use in laying hens.
View attachment 1949116
View attachment 1949117

The approved dose is 1 mg/kg for five days and that works out to ~0.023 ml per five pounds for five days.

If you don't want to hassle treating each bird you could try feeding it to them in a mash. If I were going to do that this is how I would do it.

1. Count number of birds to be treated.
  2. Estimate the weight of each bird.
  3. Calculate flock weight. For example, if you have 10 leghorns at ~4 pounds each and 10 RIR's at 6 pounds each, that's 100 pounds of birds.
  4. Calculate the amount of Safeguard needed. In my example it's 100 (weight of flock) divide by 2.2 (this converts to kg) times 1 (the dose needed) divide by 100 (the amount of medication in one ml) 100 ÷ 2.2 x 1 ÷ 100 = 0.45 ml
  5. Set aside the amount of pellets or crumbles they will eat in a day in a big container.
  6. Mix the 0.45 ml of Safeguard in some amount of water, two cups maybe? Add the water/Safeguard mixture to the crumbles, stir a little, then add more water until the feed is nice and wet. Mix *very* well.
  7. Repeat for five days and this should treat large roundworms and cecal worms, but will not treat capillary worms and this should not be done if your flock has capillary worms.
Note: If one has capillary worms in their flock a higher dose is needed and that higher dose will require egg withdrawal.

Please, always check my math, 'cause I do make lots of mistakes. :oops:

safeguard_syringe_1-png.1514442

http://www.dosagehelp.com/dosage_by_weight.html
Fortunately, my flock is about half the weight of your sample flicks weight so the math was easy. But when I measured it out it was such a small amount I just cannot imagine it doing anything! We are not dealing with an overload of worms though so🤞

Fortunately, my flock is about half the weight of your sample flicks weight so the math was easy. But when I measured it out it was such a small amount I just cannot imagine it doing anything! We are not dealing with an overload of worms though so🤞
The amount is minuscule. You can use more if you want, but more technically requires egg withdrawal.

Back
Top Bottom