Safeguard pellets how much to give

I can probably figure it up. Can you provide a link of the exact product you have?
You will have to do some sort of weighing with it because I don't have it here.

I have a bag of the Pellets, and am not sure how much to use - for 6 lively 7 month old laying pullets. They eat more than 5 oz of feed a day, by far - but it is winter. Since it is safe for doses to be spread over 3-5 days, for a more effective parasite kill rate, i was thinking I'd divide it in half, then try to figure out if mixing into 5 equal parts might be a correct dose. Conversions from .5 ml of anything to grams or whatever then spread into a pound of pellets - frankly makes me dizzy.

Someone said it would translate to a few pellets per day...idk - but that would be easy to get each equally dosed in a tablespoon of yogurt or cooked oatmeal. I think someone else said more is needed. Dividing it all up and saving half would certainly be the pace to begin i think. I haven't seen any parasite evidence - so i may wait for the warmer wet season - and i wont be able to report on anything except if the Pullets seem changed in some behavioral way...or get ill...or if i see a change in their poo. ugh - a crap shoot, this is.
Try this:
https://www.safeguard-dewormer.com/turkey

Those directions are giving a dose of 16 ppm of Fenbendazole in feed (7.3 mg of Fenbendazole per lb of feed).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were going to emulate the zero day mash recipe at 0.45 mg of Fenbendazole per lb of chicken with the 0.5% pellets, you would give 90 mg of the pellets per lb of chicken in the feed. I can't give a volume amount without someone accurately weighing the product.

If a 5 lb chicken eats 0.25 lb of feed per day, then 20 lbs of chickens eat 1 lb of feed per day. That is 1,800 mg of pellets per lb of feed. A 0.5% product is 0.005 x 1800 = 9 mg of Fenbendazole per lb of feed.

So those directions are within the zero day egg withdrawal guidelines but that only works on roundworms is my understanding.

I can figure the regular 5 day dose (22.7 mg/lb) for roundworms, capillary, and cecal worms with the pellets if you want.

Those directions are giving a dose of 16 ppm of Fenbendazole in feed (7.3 mg of Fenbendazole per lb of feed).

If you were going to emulate the zero day mash recipe at 0.45 mg of Fenbendazole per lb of chicken with the 0.5% pellets, you would give 90 mg of the pellets per lb of chicken in the feed. I can't give a volume amount without someone accurately weighing the product.

If a 5 lb chicken eats 0.25 lb of feed per day, then 20 lbs of chickens eat 1 lb of feed per day. That is 1,800 mg of pellets per lb of feed. A 0.5% product is 0.005 x 1800 = 9 mg of Fenbendazole per lb of feed.

So those directions are within the zero day egg withdrawal guidelines but that only works on roundworms is my understanding.

I can figure the regular 5 day dose (22.7 mg/lb) for roundworms, capillary, and cecal worms with the pellets if you want.
Hi. I have chickens to worm. Poop looks like nasty peanut butter. I have safeguard pellets. Can you help me figure how much per pound of layer feed! Thanx!

That kinda sounds like a cecal poop. I don't think that is an indication of worms but maybe @casportpony or @dawg53 will know.
Cecal vs Regular Poop

Cecal vs Regular Poop

Cecal vs regular poop. I think this explains the ceca pretty well: "by Wendy EN Thomas of Lessons Learned from the Flock For those of us who have never seen the inside of a chicken, it turns out that a chicken’s anatomy is pretty darn interesting. I recently took a class where poultry anatomy...

☝️☝️ That would be great!

👇👇 that would be great!

The thing about using those medicated pellets is getting the right amount into each bird daily. If you mix the medicated pellets into a daily amount of feed for all the birds, one bird will eat more than another and that messes with the daily birds dose of Fenbendazole which may result in underdosing and then the worms may become resistant to the medication. This is not a good thing. It is better to use the paste or suspension and directly dose each bird with the proper amount of Fenbendazole than mixing the pellets in their feed and hoping they will eat the proper amount of pellets each.

But there is a zero day withdrawal mash method that uses the paste or suspension so one could technically use the pellets like that too.

Also, depending on how many birds you have, you could separate each bird until they eat the right amount of pellets and then let them out but that sounds like alot of trouble.

So if you are still willing to use the pellets, here are the converisons and do so at your own risk:

Fenbendazole Dose10% Paste or Suspension0.5% Pellets
0.45 mg/lb0.005 ml per lb of weight90 mg per lb of weight
22.7 mg/lb0.227 ml per lb of weight4.54 g per lb of weight

So if you wanted to use the 22.7 mg/lb dose with a 5 lb chicken using the pellets, that chicken will have to consume 22.7 g of pellets per day.

I don't know what the pellets equate to in volume but if someone will weigh, say 4 cups of the pellets, and tell me exactly what it weighs, I can figure it out then.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom