safeguard withdrawal

Suthrnpride

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Hello. I'm sure y'all are asked this question alot but I have a flock of 20 chickens that I wormed with Safeguard 10% horse paste. I'm trying to get a definitive answer for the egg/meat withdrawal time since I eat both birds and eggs and also give eggs to my family and friends. I asked the same question on chicken FB group and was told it was a lifetime withdrawal. My vet that told me to get fenbenzole (sp?) for the water or oral and said there was no withdrawal. Since AquaSol is so expensive i went with the horse paste. I'm so confused now. Did I just ruin my flock? You would think that them both being the same medicine that the withdrawal would be the same across the board regardless of species. Please help me understand and learn.

The simple answer is no one actually knows the egg residual time. Studies have not been done on most chicken de-wormers, hence the "lifetime" withdrawal period. That is why they aren't approved for use in poulty.

I think most people use a 2 week withdrawal period after the last dose of medicine. You dose again in 10 days so you're looking at about a month of egg withdrawal. Some people don't use a withdrawal period but someone could be allergic to the residue and if they are that could harm them.

Another thought is if you eat residual Fenbendazole and your body builds up a resistance to it and you happen to need to take Fenbendazole yourself for worms or something, then the medicine may not work as good on you.

AquaSol is just Fenbendazole that is soluable in water. Safeguard horse paste is fine to give directly as long as you know the dose and alot cheaper. There is also a zero day egg withdrawal dose of Fenbendazole should you choose to do it at some point.

Last edited:
The simple answer is no one actually knows the egg residual time. Studies have not been done on most chicken de-wormers, hence the "lifetime" withdrawal period. That is why they aren't approved for use in poulty.

I think most people use a 2 week withdrawal period after the last dose of medicine. You dose again in 10 days so you're looking at about a month of egg withdrawal. Some people don't use a withdrawal period but someone could be allergic to the residue and if they are that could harm them.

Another thought is if you eat residual Fenbendazole and your body builds up a resistance to it and you happen to need to take Fenbendazole yourself for worms or something, then the medicine may not work as good on you.

AquaSol is just Fenbendazole that is soluable in water. Safeguard horse paste is fine to give directly as long as you know the dose and alot cheaper. There is also a zero day egg withdrawal dose of Fenbendazole should you choose to do it at some point.
Thank you very much

In 2015, before fenbendazole was approved for use in poultry in the US the egg withdrawal time was 17 days. Because it wasn't FDA approved, 17 days was the time it took for the residue in the egg to be zero. Link below was written in 2015.

https://vet.osu.edu/sites/vet.osu.e...ng the treatment of backyard poultry 2015.pdf

That said, fenbendazole is now approved for use in poultry in the water-soluble form of Safeguard Aquasol. The dosing for Aquasol is incredibly low - just 1mg of fenbendazole per kg. For my flock of 10 that is 2 drops of Aquasol for the whole flock to consume in their water per day. At this low dose it only covers two types of worms: Ascaridia galli (adult stage roundworms) and Heterakis gallinarum (adult stage cecal worms). For treating other worms such as gapeworms or some types of tapeworms, the dose must be higher. At this higher dose, it takes 17 days to have zero drug residue in eggs.

People take fenbendazole for cancer treatment so I doubt the eggs are going to hurt anyone. Don't want to discuss the efficacy or politics of this - just stating a fact.

Back
Top Bottom