cnef26

Hatching
Sep 18, 2019
i have had two chickens display strange symptoms that i think i have narrowed down to gapeworm.
i have put Safe-Guard in their water but just wondering how long i should leave it there. do i allow them to finish the gallon? should i only leave it in there a day or two?
any advice would be highly appreciated, thank you!

i have had two chickens display strange symptoms that i think i have narrowed down to gapeworm.
i have put Safe-Guard in their water but just wondering how long i should leave it there. do i allow them to finish the gallon? should i only leave it in there a day or two?
any advice would be highly appreciated, thank you!
What are the symptoms?
What form of Safeguard did you use and how much did you use? It is not readily soluble in water.
To treat for gapeworm using fenbendazole, the dose is 100 mg/Kg once daily for 5 days with 14 days of egg withdrawal. The easiest way to do that is by using Safeguard liquid goat wormer (after shaking the bottle to thoroughly mix the suspension).
A 5 pound chicken would get 2.25 mls (0.25 mls/pound) of well mixed suspension for one dose. I've found it easiest to give dewormer this way be soaking a small piece of bread with the dose and feeding it to the chickens one at a time.

What are the symptoms?
What form of Safeguard did you use and how much did you use? It is not readily soluble in water.
To treat for gapeworm using fenbendazole, the dose is 100 mg/Kg once daily for 5 days with 14 days of egg withdrawal. The easiest way to do that is by using Safeguard liquid goat wormer (after shaking the bottle to thoroughly mix the suspension).
A 5 pound chicken would get 2.25 mls (0.25 mls/pound) of well mixed suspension for one dose. I've found it easiest to give dewormer this way be soaking a small piece of bread with the dose and feeding it to the chickens one at a time.

thank you for your response.
they are definitely panting, stretching their neck, acting a bit slow, and seem to have a bum leg. i lost one two weeks ago and then the second started having symptoms a couple days ago.
after i added the wormer to the water though, the bum leg seems to have subsided.
should i keep the water out till it’s gone?
i have a lot of chickens so working individually would be a pretty big project.

Back
Top Bottom