Safely introducing an older hen to 9 week old chicks

aprattsky

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hello! I have four 9-week old Sapphire Splash chicks. My sister has one hen in her flock that is being bullied. I was wondering if it would be possible to adopt her into our flock. I know it can be very difficult to introduce chickens into an older established flock but I was wondering if it would be easier if the chicks are younger than the one chicken being brought in? Is this a bad idea? This is my first time raising chickens so I still have a lot to learn. Any and all thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have never done this before, but when introducing chicks to an older flock, you generally want to keep them in view of the flock, but behind wire so they don't get hurt for a couple of weeks, and then slowly let them have actual time together. Some people let them out to free-range, so they can get to know each other, while others put them in the coop at night. You could probably do the same thing, but with the hen.

I know it can be very difficult to introduce chickens into an older established flock but I was wondering if it would be easier if the chicks are younger than the one chicken being brought in?

It will probably be much easier.

I'm guessing you could just put the hen in the coop, watch for a bit, and have them be fine (but have a wire crate or separate pen ready, just in case.)

There is some chance that the hen will pick on the chicks--but there is only one of her, and she will be the newcomer.

There is some chance the chicks will pick on the hen, although I think it's unlikely because she is an adult and there are only four chicks.

If it doesn't work out, then you can do the see-no-touch introduction method.

Hello! I have four 9-week old Sapphire Splash chicks. My sister has one hen in her flock that is being bullied. I was wondering if it would be possible to adopt her into our flock. I know it can be very difficult to introduce chickens into an older established flock but I was wondering if it would be easier if the chicks are younger than the one chicken being brought in? Is this a bad idea? This is my first time raising chickens so I still have a lot to learn. Any and all thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!
First thought is to solve the bullying problem in your sisters flock.
Second thought....how big are both your coops and runs, in feet by feet?
Crowding is the main cause of most bullying, especially when adding new birds.

Back
Top Bottom