safety of eggs from hens snitching some coccidiastat-laden chick feed

janinepeters

Songster
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
Hello,

I have three 2.5-week old baby chicks being raised by a hen. Until now, they have been in a coop connected to, but closed off from, our main coop which houses 12 hens and 2 roosters. I've just started to open the door between the two coops. The adult birds do not bother the chicks at all, but I've noticed that they do like to snack on the baby food. This is a chick starter feed medicated with a coccidiastat. My question is this: Is it okay to eat the eggs of hens that are eating a little of this medicated feed?

I would say that these "snacks" amount to a small percentage of their daily intake. These adult birds eat their layer ration, plus free range all afternoon, when they forage for bugs and eat kitchen scraps.

If I were to switch the chicks to unmedicated feed, how likely would they be to get sick from coccidia?

It is fine to eat the eggs.
Chicks being raised on the floor by a hen are very unlikely to contract Coccidiosis. Switching feed would be fine if it well make you feel better.

Is the coccidiostat amprolium or an antibiotic? It is fine to eat eggs from hens that eat amprolium, and the amprolium won't hurt the hens. Personal choice on the antibiotic.

NYREDS may be absolutely correct, I am no expert, but would be nervous about taking the babies off amprolium. However, some experienced chicken raisers on here won't use it. Up to you.

I just checked the bag, and it is amprolium. The chicks will begin to get a taste of free ranging (within a fenced in area) soon, so I would prefer to keep them on medicated feed. I'm glad to hear it's okay to eat the eggs.

Thank you both for your responses!

Back
Top Bottom