Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Pics
I love the thought of someday getting a hold of true Saipans, but I not going to hold my breath.

I got some from Purely Poultry last year. I promised in another thread to keep a detailed record of them. I had the wind knocked out of me when I found out how wild and wonderful WV can be. Turns out everything on the planet wants to eat a chicken. My dog, my Neighbors dogs, raccoons and hawks. Got everything squared away now. Ordered 10 more from Purely Poultry. I know these are not "real saipans", but I like them, and think it would have been a waste if these were some real expensive birds. I keep the 4 pullets I have left with a few red sex links.( weird side note,They were really mean to the sex links until they started laying eggs, then they took on a protector roll ) Love their personalities. Got ten more from Purely Poultry hoping to get one good rooster out of them. Can any body please put up a picture of a pure Hazel Mathews Saipan, just so I know what I'm supposed to be shooting for.

Thanks,

Cooper

tried to upload pics, but says I don't have permission

Last edited:
OLd cows birds are good birds.Probably no 2 people are gonna have Saipan that are identical looking as there was variance 25 years ago. His hens are light. Hens can certainly be darker and still produce light backed birds. If you want to 'shoot for somethig' raise some that look like that. It will prove impossible from anyting sold from any of the hatcheries.

I did see a one small photo of a pair in this thread, were there more?

Hopefully, he will get to the point where he will sell some of his birds. Seems like he has had much experience, and the will to produce a bird that will look like a Saipan.

Thank you for the reply,

wvcooper

Does anyone know where to purchase Saipan jungle fowl hatching eggs? My daughter had a pet SJF pullet and when we got our meat chicks, apparently, they brought in coccodia and we lost her. I would love to get some more of these birds as she was SUPER friendly. Would just prefer not to get hatchery stock this time.

Meadow

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have some Juvi "Saipans" from Ideal. I know hatchery birds aren't worth the name really, but here in Canada that seems to be the only way to get something even remotely similar to what a Saipan is until I find someone in the US who would send me hatching eggs or a pair of the real deal.

Had some already a few years back but at 4 months old a grizzly tore into my barns and killed everything feathered that I owned.

So I tried again this year and my current flock is now 11 Sais. 6 weeks old, 3 roosters, 8 hens. I know 1 roo and hen I can sell right off the bat, they are peacombed instead of a flat one like the rest. Once they get older I would love to post pics and get you guys opinion.

Right now they are free range 24/7 and doing remarkably well, altho I do have to slam the door in their face so they don't follow me in the house, they are of the opinion they have a right to, that also includes claiming you as a roost if you sit outside etc.

My handle/ nickname is old_ cowhunter.
A bit of history:
Back in the 1800’s-1900’s, when a cattle drive was in progress out west, and the cattle were being pushed to market, boys would leave the farms and hire on to help get the cattle there. They did this to earn money to help their mother and father keep the farm going. That is why they were originally called cow boys.
Here in Florida, the men that went into the pine woods and scrub to round up the wild cattle were called cattlemen, or cowhunters. The cattle were the same breed that I raise today, Florida Cracker cattle. As a matter of fact, my father was a cowhunter in the 1920’s to 1940’s.
Now to the point:
While I do believe in adaptive radiation, I do not believe in evolution.
However, I have actually witnessed what might be considered evolution of sorts on this thread
My handle, Old_cowhunter
Evolved into
Old-cowhunter
Then to
Oldcowfoot
And finally
Old cow
I take no offense, but I did want you folks to know why I am who I am.

As far as the question concerning feeding Saipans commercial layer feed: It is alright to do so, but please make sure that there are no whole kernels of corn in the feed. Back in the early days, it was thought that commercial feed was poisonous to Saipans, because so many birds died after eating it. However, the real culprits are whole kernels of corn. The Saipan is a very primitive bird, and as such cannot digest whole corn. It stays in their crop and blocks other feed from entering the body. The Saipan will starve to death, even though it has corn in it's crop.

Next: I am attempting to do a census on true Saipans (non-hatchery birds that are not of mixed ancestry). If you are anyone you know has true Saipans, please have them contact me off list. My email is [email protected]

Last week I mailed letters to Saipan and to Guam seeking information on the Saipans. I have provided what information I currently available to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. ALBC now has the Saipan listed in the "Study Category" of their Conservation Priority List. This is quite an accomplishment, and might well be the closest we will ever see to Saipans being recognized as a pure breed. DNA testing is likely in the future, but for now I need to be in contact with like minded breeders to reach our goal.

Finally: I will post a few photos of true Saipans in a little bit.

Ralph Wright
Old_cowhunter

Back
Top Bottom