Saipan JungleFowl from Cackle.

Bullfrog, if you don't mind be asking. Why are you interested in the Saipans?
Historically, “real” Saipans were confirmed meat eaters, having adapted to island life by scavenging dead sea life. BW Saylor thought they were a relic population of original oriental gamefowl or junglefowl from which oriental gamefowl came. I recently heard an alternate theory that the Saipans were a genetic amalgamation of most of the various oriental gamefowl varieties that had been thrown onto the island or Saipan piecemeal over hundreds of years as various Asian cultures came to the island and brought their own gamefowl with them. The significance being that each oriental gamefowl breed represents a genetic piece of a puzzle than when put together, recreates the original oriental gamefowl as a sum of the various parts.

That’s all interesting theory and history, and I would question how legitimate hatchery Saipans are in terms of being the direct and pure descendants the birds Saylor brought back to the US. But regardless it was always my original intent to use Saipans in my terrorfowl project and not Liege, but my source for alleged Saipans fell through and Liege were dropped into my lap.

I think there may be merit to the idea that mixing orientals creates a more predatory and primitive acting fowl. That may be why mixing Liege to aseel created Indo’s and Azog’s predatory streak, with Liege carrying old Malay blood in their background besides any other oriental that’s been put in them stateside.

I’d love for it to be so that hatchery Saipans are legit from Saylor’s stock. That’s a lot of history there in those genes. But even if they aren’t, they definitely look like some sort of legit oriental. I would like to see if adding more oriental lines to my terrorfowl unlocks more primitive and feral traits.

Back
Top Bottom