Saipans from hatcherys.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rooster brandon., May 21, 2012.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Songster

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    I just bought a pair of saipans from a guy and he said he got them a long time ago from a hatchery and i have read they need a special diet but i have also read that hatchery saipans are just shamo x asils and i am wondering how to tell if its a shamo x asil can someone clear this up for me?

2. Blaineiac

Blaineiac Chirping

Jan 30, 2011
    From the Pics I've seen of the hatchery Siapans, I think you'd get a pretty nice oriental if they only had Asil/Shamo. Neither one of these are very steady layers, and hatcheries make their money off volume. I'm not sure what they add, but the when the tails are as upright as the body, there is something else in the mix. I'd think that if you got 50 chicks and cull heavily, you could have a decent trio to start your breeding. Good Luck. Blaine

3. wvcooper

wvcooper In the Brooder

May 3, 2012
    Just got these guys ( Siapan's ) from purely poultry.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. mcrooke45

mcrooke45 Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    What do your birds look like now?

5. wvcooper

wvcooper In the Brooder

May 3, 2012
    Here they are now,

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the pics. My Neighbors dog got 5 of them. Two of them were potentially the best two males. Kind of took the steam out of the project. I really like the 6 I have left. They are fun birds for my Kids and I to start out with. As you can see they are in a electric inclosure now. The used to roam the jungles on our property. They seem to know its a safe place for them and will not leave the fenced area. They are still young 2+ mo.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  6. wvcooper

wvcooper In the Brooder

May 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: