sale of duck eggs help

philandolivia

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 26, 2011
Co. Durham, UK
Hi

My local cattle mart has started doing a poultry auction every 2 weeks and they sell fertile eggs there to, so I was thinking of selling my duck eggs there iv never sold fertile eggs for hatching before but I gave my friend 5 a few months back and 3 hatched out with one dead in the egg so I thought that’s a good out come. so like I say I was thinking about selling at the mart But should I clean the eggs before taking them as they do get dirty and how long can I store them before the auction and what’s the best say to store them for best results.

Phil

Last edited:
Well, cleaning is controversial. However, I'll give you my opinion as a buyer -- I ordered some goose eggs via Ebay in April, and they came literally CAKED in feces. Not mud, poo. Well, to be fair, it no doubt had a substantial amount of mud mixed in.

I was furious. I can see the random small spot or two, especially with waterfowl since they are a lot more dirty than upland birds. But, IMHO, very dirty eggs mean that the breeder needs to work harder to make a cleaner environment.

Now, personally, I've washed a number of eggs since then with Brinsea's eggwash/incubator disinfectant, and I'm having really good luck hatching them, but they have been my own eggs, not shipped.

If the eggs are dirty and you've done all you can to keep the environment clean, I don't see anything wrong with washing them with a proper disinfectant as long as you can tell the buyer that you have washed them. I'd rather see them cleaned as soon as possible after laying rather than sitting around and letting the bacteria multiply.

The big commercial hatcheries that produce chicks by the millions for the meat and egg industry wash ALL of their hatching eggs, I believe, and they get really high hatch rates, in the upper 90s. They also fumigate, but that's kind of beyond the capacity of an individual.

Back
Top Bottom