Salmon favarolles hen or roo?

ReeceFamily

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2016
Can anyone tell if this is a hen or roo? Six weeks old. We are hoping for a hen!:). Thanks!

Generally speaking that color on a bird that age would be quite indicative of a cockerel - however I have recently seen with my own eyes a hatchery (cough*Ideal*cough) selling Faverolles mutts as pure Faverolles, and despite being ordered as pullets, they all showed the dark and muddled coloration of a cockerel. All of them turned out female. So realistically, I'd say you have a mixed breed pullet.

Misha, they wouldn't happen to look like this lol

Not great pics, but look at that black breast!

Last edited:
Misha, they wouldn't happen to look like this lol

Not great pics, but look at that black breast!

Exactly like that. I even got one in that batch that went beyond "really crappy Faverolles" and was obviously an absolute mutt. No feathers on the legs, no beard, long legs and body, beetle brow, poorly shaped 5 toes... dollars to donuts she was a Faverolles X watered down Oriental Game hybrid. I ended up keeping that one. Ironically, she has pretty good Wheaten coloring. Regardless, I've been pretty disgusted by Ideal since that incident. They've sent poor quality birds before but... this was extreme.

Black Feathers all over is Rooster

Only in a purebred. I'm currently watching the several remaining of the crappy batch I worked with get close to 12 weeks and they are 100% and without a doubt female. Plumage is at least 50% black.

Back
Top Bottom