Salmon Faverolle Chicks -The Dark Mark?

2150MormonRd

Chirping
Nov 9, 2020
Two of my new babies are Salmon Faverolles and they are 5 days old. Both have black on their heads and backs. All of the SF chicks from the breeder' had these marks. I have been reading about black being prominent on males. Is this true? She couldn't have had 25 males in the bin. Should I be worried already? None of them had significant wing feathers or tails. I picked as best I could based on wing feather and posture.

20210426_133334.jpg 20210426_133214.jpg 20210426_133255.jpg

Did you happen to see the breeder's adults? Wondering if they're all on the dark side, if all the chicks in the brooder had darker coloring.

Might have to wait a bit longer and see if this is dark brown, or true black, and where the black comes in.

I noticed people on Ebay selling variant shades of salmon favorelles, from light cream to brown looking birds.
You might have a variant color in your chicks and SF are auto sex. The female chicks are yellow and male chicks are brownish colored.
Super cute chicks btw.

Did you happen to see the breeder's adults? Wondering if they're all on the dark side, if all the chicks in the brooder had darker coloring.

Might have to wait a bit longer and see if this is dark brown, or true black, and where the black comes in.
No, I didn't get to see them, but all the chicks had these markings. None of them really had any wing feathers showing at all. They were hatched on 4/22. I've seen week olds before and these definitely have less wing feather growth than those.

I noticed people on Ebay selling variant shades of salmon favorelles, from light cream to brown looking birds.
You might have a variant color in your chicks and SF are auto sex. The female chicks are yellow and male chicks are brownish colored.
Super cute chicks btw.
They both have intense yellow on them. And yes, OMG are they fluffy!!!!

Update.
I can see salmon beige colored feathers above the dark ones on the wings growing in on both. Another vote for both pullets. We shall see. They are supposedly two weeks old on 5.5.

Here they are at 18 days old. Still no tail feathers??? Their wings are very different. One has always had more advanced feather growth. The colors are the same though. A gingery brown and a dark brown. No pink in the comb at all. Wondering what you think? Also...here are the parents.

Attachments

• chick one.jpg
    chick one.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 40
  • chick two.jpg
    chick two.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 155238895_1176767782775453_861911417618099960_n(1).jpg
    155238895_1176767782775453_861911417618099960_n(1).jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 55
Here they are at 18 days old. Still no tail feathers??? Their wings are very different. One has always had more advanced feather growth. The colors are the same though. A gingery brown and a dark brown. No pink in the comb at all.
Still going to say girls at this point.

My Faverolles was much slower to feather than my other chicks of same age, so I did worry that that could be a sign of her being male, but she simply was slow-feathering.

A five week update on these two...now, they are growing in black beards?? But no tail and no color in the comb. Still pullets? They are definitely bottom of the pack of 6 and seem much less mature than the other breeds that were hatched on the same day. ( Cream Crested Legbar and Icelandic). the dark feathers are dark brown, not black and nothing on the chest. Their beaks are even darkening. At first I thought it was newsprint.

Opinions?

Attachments

• 20210527_083502.jpg
    20210527_083502.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210527_134745.jpg
    20210527_134745.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 48
A five week update on these two...now, they are growing in black beards?? But no tail and no color in the comb. Still pullets? They are definitely bottom of the pack of 6 and seem much less mature than the other breeds that were hatched on the same day. ( Cream Crested Legbar and Icelandic). the dark feathers are dark brown, not black and nothing on the chest. Their beaks are even darkening. At first I thought it was newsprint.

Opinions?
My SF, Miss Butterfly, had the dark marks when she was a chicklet. (That’s how she got her name in fact!) She turned out to have the standard coloring, even with the dark first feathers. And she did take longer to develop. Now? She’s my alpha and will kick the butts of my biggest girls who outweigh her by five pounds!!

59CE5C9F-E9E1-4037-B562-EE0B382020E8.jpeg

E82E7901-3F42-4F84-81E7-FD49DACC0A75.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom