salmon faverolle egg question

melishkia

In the Brooder
May 26, 2016
I have 1 salmon faverolle and noticed she lays rather small eggs compared to everyone else (americauna is what I am comparing to). If she does lay a larger egg, I can almost guarantee it will have 2 yolks. Is this normal for this breed?

How old is she? Pullets will lay smaller eggs for some months. However, my 2 Faverolles (2012 from Ideal) had always underperformed. In fact they have both averaged 46g over their laying life, well under USDA Medium (> 50g) and never larger than the low end of USDA Large (> 57g) and those were rare. Never got a double yolk from either of them though I have from the BAs when they have laid eggs that are WAY off the USDA charts. My EEs (your "Americana") lay from the higher end of Medium and the low end of Large (> 57g) to Jumbo (> 71g)

She is a year old as of last week and they haven't seemed to change much... maybe now that she is over a year they'll get larger.. I have seen pictures of faverolle eggs online and they look very average sized (medium-large) compared to hers. Her larger egg looks stretched out in the center like she held it too long, doesn't fit in an egg carton either. Not sure of the weights...

Back
Top Bottom