Salmon Faverolle Sexing. Please tell me I don't have 7 cockerel's

I've bred Salmon Faverolles in the past. Mine were easily sexed as I didn't have issues with smutty/dark females. I'd believe the breeder bred for show after I saw some adult pictures of their breeding stock.

In the meantime, I'd give it a couple of weeks. You should be able to tell when the breast feathers come in. Cockerels will be dark and pullets will be lighter. You'd have very bad luck indeed to have dark wings and a chest and it be a pullet. Although I have seen it. @Overo Mare enjoys crushing people's dreams, one cockerel at a time. Perhaps she would like to rain on the parade?

I've bred Salmon Faverolles in the past. Mine were easily sexed as I didn't have issues with smutty/dark females. I'd believe the breeder bred for show after I saw some adult pictures of their breeding stock.

In the meantime, I'd give it a couple of weeks. You should be able to tell when the breast feathers come in. Cockerels will be dark and pullets will be lighter. You'd have very bad luck indeed to have dark wings and a chest and it be a pullet. Although I have seen it. @Overo Mare enjoys crushing people's dreams, one cockerel at a time. Perhaps she would like to rain on the parade?
I'll reserve judgement until I see those breast feathers.

Totally agree with the breeder theory though. :highfive:

Okay so for some updated photos. Not the best but was here they are at 18 days (New years babies).

There are 5 that are definitively a light brown on all of their wings. There are 2 that are distinctly have much more black on them. Their chest feathers aren't in yet but I am starting to seem some pin feathers starting, so we will see what next week shows us.

Attachments

• 20210118_172118.jpg
    20210118_172118.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210118_172132.jpg
    20210118_172132.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210118_172137.jpg
    20210118_172137.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 13
I’d say only the third one is a roo. The others have nice even and rounded flight feather tips and the third one is more jagged and uneven. Can’t be 100 percent but I bet I’m right. 😀

Back
Top Bottom