Salmon faverolles acting “off”

Batacaza

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
Canada
01B5B31D-D8DB-4A36-889C-9EAB2176FFA2.jpeg

Francesca is a 4 month old salmon faverolles who came to us about 2 weeks ago along with two penmates (lavender orpington and blue ameraucana) who are thriving. When she arrived she laid down in the run and wouldn’t move, appeared to be depressed, but would eat laying down. She had some mild foot lesions that looked like very early bumble foot but not abscesses. I separated her, bathed/soaked her, applied honey bandages to her feet, put her on oral metacam, and water with vitamin supplement and medicated starter. Fecal was negative for parasites and coccidia. No neurological or respiratory signs or external parasites. Her sister hatched at the same time (same faverolles lines) apparently died with an air dilated crop a couple days ago at the farm of origin.

She is now walking great and has gained 150g in 10 days (weighs 990g now) and is back out in the coop/run. Eating, drinking, dust bathing, etc. but she’s just very docile and slower than the other pullets. She has figured out how to get up the ramp into the coop and up to the roost but will not come down either ramp. She will not set a foot on it despite wanting to follow her friends and clearly being hungry in the mornings. She will *sometimes* jump off the ramp when placed part way down but not always.

Any thoughts on whether this is a vision issue? Ramp issue? Vitamin A or other deficiency? Other health issue? Does anyone have to trim their faverolles’ muffs for them to see better?

Thanks!

Your little pullet is beautiful, faverolles are docile by nature, mine don’t roost as they seem unable to get on or off the perch no matter how low I put it, they are quite clumsy and easily picked on due to their docile nature, if there are no signs of illness/parasites etc and she is eating and drinking I would be putting the ramp issue down to being just a faverolles quirk if there is any way you can make it less steep or make it into steps rather than a ramp she may figure it out better. 😊

Your little pullet is beautiful, faverolles are docile by nature, mine don’t roost as they seem unable to get on or off the perch no matter how low I put it, they are quite clumsy and easily picked on due to their docile nature, if there are no signs of illness/parasites etc and she is eating and drinking I would be putting the ramp issue down to being just a faverolles quirk if there is any way you can make it less steep or make it into steps rather than a ramp she may figure it out better. 😊
Thanks so much for your reply! Fortunately she does seem healthy however she still isn’t going down the ramps. She goes up both ramps at night and gets onto the tallest perch with her pals. Nobody is picking on her - in fact the top hen will come and make sweet little chortles at her when she seems lost. They’re really very lovely together.

But Francesca still won’t come down off roosts or down the ramps despite trimming her muffs and making the ramps quite a shallow slope. I put her outside every morning and she looks like she’s getting anxious about it now. I’m worried she will get stuck inside the building when she eventually starts going in to lay. I’m currently trying to lure her with a little cup of food and plan on trying to widen the ramps this weekend.

Thanks so much for your reply! Fortunately she does seem healthy however she still isn’t going down the ramps. She goes up both ramps at night and gets onto the tallest perch with her pals. Nobody is picking on her - in fact the top hen will come and make sweet little chortles at her when she seems lost. They’re really very lovely together.

But Francesca still won’t come down off roosts or down the ramps despite trimming her muffs and making the ramps quite a shallow slope. I put her outside every morning and she looks like she’s getting anxious about it now. I’m worried she will get stuck inside the building when she eventually starts going in to lay. I’m currently trying to lure her with a little cup of food and plan on trying to widen the ramps this weekend.
😂 they are a funny bird it seems she has a fear of going down but not up 🤷🏼‍♀️ , have you ever left her where she is to see if she eventually comes out on her own? I’m sure she will get the hang of it soon, you certainly are trying your best ☺️

Any thoughts on whether this is a vision issue? Ramp issue? Vitamin A or other deficiency? Other health issue? Does anyone have to trim their faverolles’ muffs for them to see better?
Yes, I had to trim their muffs, beard and excessive leg/feet feathers for them to be able to walk, see and feed themselves like normal chickens.
This was - in addition to their disabling fifth toes - the reason why I no longer keep or breed them, although they were really beautiful birds with a friendly disposition.

This was the friendliest and quirkiest of the bunch. As you can see, muffs and beard are trimmed as well as her feet/leg feathering.
HühnerFrühjahr2010 Pussel4.jpg

Yes, I had to trim their muffs, beard and excessive leg/feet feathers for them to be able to walk, see and feed themselves like normal chickens.
This was - in addition to their disabling fifth toes - the reason why I no longer keep or breed them, although they were really beautiful birds with a friendly disposition.

This was the friendliest and quirkiest of the bunch. As you can see, muffs and beard are trimmed as well as her feet/leg feathering.
View attachment 2684868
Thanks so much for your reply - I trimmed Francesca’s muffs and yesterday widened the ramps (to 20” wide! Lol). I started supervised free ranging the flock as well to get her a little more exercise and encourage exploration. I’ve been luring her with a measuring spoon and this morning was the first hint of any progress. She was down off the roost (onto the poop board) and made it down both indoor and outdoor ramps with only moderate luring - no “prodding” required.

Fingers crossed she continues to progress. I see what you mean about the breed - they are beautiful and sweet but I do feel bad for them as their feathering keeps them from expressing a lot of normal chicken behaviours. Pictures below of Francesca being encouraged “to chicken” :)
22599EDD-9734-4C31-9B7B-8A8CF0EB6BBD.jpeg
BB70C42B-E14C-4C7E-BBE6-95862954CD9F.png
6C0E52EB-BDCC-4505-98F0-E45F4C5C53B8.png

Thanks so much for your reply - I trimmed Francesca’s muffs and yesterday widened the ramps (to 20” wide! Lol). I started supervised free ranging the flock as well to get her a little more exercise and encourage exploration. I’ve been luring her with a measuring spoon and this morning was the first hint of any progress. She was down off the roost (onto the poop board) and made it down both indoor and outdoor ramps with only moderate luring - no “prodding” required.

Fingers crossed she continues to progress. I see what you mean about the breed - they are beautiful and sweet but I do feel bad for them as their feathering keeps them from expressing a lot of normal chicken behaviours. Pictures below of Francesca being encouraged “to chicken” :)View attachment 2689040View attachment 2689042View attachment 2689044
Yes, these special breed traits they show are disabling and when free ranging even life threatening.
Just imagine to hop off a roost and not being able to see where you will be landing, same with a ladder etc.

Due to the excessive muffs and beards they were unable to see predators, especially the hawks approaching, even more so when keeping their head down to forage in higher grass and weeds. And when they finally notice being attacked, these overly feathered feet and the fifth toes hinder them to run as they get tangled up. And even worse when new feathers come in and having their delicate feet bleeding and the chickens just crouching down not willing to walk from the hurting feet.

It was disheartening to say the least.

I hope that your Francesca will get better and more courageous with all your loving care and regular trimming.

Last edited:
A vision issue would have been my guess as well. But I see it was already addressed.
I hope she will become adventurous without the beard in the way.

Back
Top Bottom