Salmon Faverolles

Adfarms

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
How many eggs can a Salmon Faverolles hen lay before she starts sitting on it. Your review and comments are highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 9B9070B4-E5DF-4059-B318-35FE6EC28532.jpeg
    9B9070B4-E5DF-4059-B318-35FE6EC28532.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1254EF85-06BE-4DA6-BFE1-F84061C71863.jpeg
    1254EF85-06BE-4DA6-BFE1-F84061C71863.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 9
Some hens will go broody no matter how many eggs they have laid, and many hens will never go broody in their entire lives. I have had many many broodies who were born at hatcheries, and some people have never had a chicken go broody. I have had salmon faverolles, and the 7 hens I have raised have not been broody. Mine did not lay very well either. Hopefully yours will, but you should go about removing your eggs daily. I always keep gold balls or fake eggs in my nest boxes to encourage the hens to lay there. A true broody will become broody on her own.

Once one shows broody behavior for 3-5 days, and I am sure that she is going to sit, then I place all of the collected eggs under her at once. I write a date on them which makes them all hopefully hatch within 1-2 days if all goes well. If you let her sit on eggs until she gets enough and goes broody, your hatch will be a mess with chicks hatching at different times. Broodies have to get off their eggs and showing their chicks around where to find their food and water, and if the eggs are not ready to hatchat the same time, this creates eggs that get abandoned before they hatch. Or the new chicks may be ome harmed if she is still sitting and not watching them.

Thank
Some hens will go broody no matter how many eggs they have laid, and many hens will never go broody in their entire lives. I have had many many broodies who were born at hatcheries, and some people have never had a chicken go broody. I have had salmon faverolles, and the 7 hens I have raised have not been broody. Mine did not lay very well either. Hopefully yours will, but you should go about removing your eggs daily. I always keep gold balls or fake eggs in my nest boxes to encourage the hens to lay there. A true broody will become broody on her own.

Once one shows broody behavior for 3-5 days, and I am sure that she is going to sit, then I place all of the collected eggs under her at once. I write a date on them which makes them all hopefully hatch within 1-2 days if all goes well. If you let her sit on eggs until she gets enough and goes broody, your hatch will be a mess with chicks hatching at different times. Broodies have to get off their eggs and showing their chicks around where to find their food and water, and if the eggs are not ready to hatchat the same time, this creates eggs that get abandoned before they hatch. Or the new chicks may be ome harmed if she is still sitting and not watching them.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom