salmon faverroles egg shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by D'Angelo N Va., Dec 28, 2009.

1. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    hello. I have some salmon faverolles, their shells are not as hard as the other chickens, when I crack them open the shells tend to sometimes fall into the bowl almost like crumbles. I feed them all the same, has anyone found this to be true as well?

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I dont have any Fav's but...

Do they get their fair share of feeder time/space? maybe they dont get enough to eat being so little

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Favs should be no different than other breed in this regard. Do you have a separate feeder with oyster shell in it? If so, they are probably not taking what they need. I have a few who tend to ignore it and on occasion will actually dissolve one of my own 600 mg calcium tablets in oatmeal so they don't know they're taking in extra calcium at all.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    oh ok. I hadn't thought about the oyster shells. Thanks for the information. I have a seperate feeder for them to eat their food out of so they get the same as the others, and it is filled at all times. I really appreciate both of your comments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by