Salmonella in indoor ducks

May 1, 2021
Hi everyone!! I hope you are all doing great during this time.

I am planning on getting ducklings later this year (late fall/early winter)! I am super excited, but also super nervous... I live in Canada, and we have some crazy cold winters. I know that ducklings need to be kept warm for the first several weeks of their lives until they get feathers, so I know keeping them outside isn't an option. So, they will be staying in my house - in my room specifically, for a while. That being said, I also know that ducks can carry salmonella, and I'm just worried that having them run around my house could possibly lead to someone in my family getting sick. I have a special needs brother, who loves to put his hands in his mouth, and I just don't want to risk him getting sick.

I will be moving them outside as soon as spring comes, but in the meantime is there anything I can do? Is salmonella in ducks common? Is there any way that I can tell if my ducks have salmonella? Other than washing my hands and sanitizing, is there anything else I can do to stop the (potential) spread of the sickness? How can I prevent my ducks from getting salmonella in the first place?

Any answers or comments will help, I just want to give my ducks the best life possible while still keeping me and my family safe. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am going to follow this thread, I had never heard that and I allow my duckling to nibble all over my face etc. I also allowed it with my last one. (Now a big duck) I am Auto immune compromised I have lupus rheumatoid arthritis and raynaudes despite all that I’m never super careful lol I just live my life lol

I am going to follow this thread, I had never heard that and I allow my duckling to nibble all over my face etc. I also allowed it with my last one. (Now a big duck) I am Auto immune compromised I have lupus rheumatoid arthritis and raynaudes despite all that I’m never super careful lol I just live my life lol
Really?! lol! Living life to the fullest! Yeah, I haven't heard much about it from people who actually have ducks, so maybe I just trust google too much lol! I just kept seeing articles about salmonella outbreaks caused by ducks and other poultry, and how harmful it can be to immune-compromised people, and I just worry it could spread and he could get sick... Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I guess you can never be too careful!

Really?! lol! Living life to the fullest! Yeah, I haven't heard much about it from people who actually have ducks, so maybe I just trust google too much lol! I just kept seeing articles about salmonella outbreaks caused by ducks and other poultry, and how harmful it can be to immune-compromised people, and I just worry it could spread and he could get sick... Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I guess you can never be too careful!
Nothing wrong with looking out for your brother and we are always learning. I have just noticed that they always try to put fear in everything. That’s why I take most things on Google with a grain of salt. Some ducks may have salmonella 🤔🤷‍♀️ I’m no expert but thankfully we have several on here hopefully they’ll see your post.

Also just noticed if you scroll down there is another post similar they are asking if they could get their ducks tested for E. coli or salmonella from the vet. Maybe check out that thread or just have a vet test for salmonella if you want to be extra cautious for your brother

You really need to sidestep the whole issue and keep them outside. Once they hit 4 weeks you really don't want them in your house. There is NO reason you can't set up a heat lamp outside once they are 4 weeks its only another 2 to 4 weeks of heat anyway. Keeping ducks in your house for 6 months is not a great plan. I won't even brood them in the house anymore. They are messier then you can fathom.

I think you will find a more enjoyable duck-keeping experience if you choose to raise the ducklings during a warmer period of the year where they can be outside. I think most new waterfowl owners underestimate the amount of cleaning that goes into keeping ducklings; the first few weeks it is manageable, but anytime after that, it will take up a large majority of your day, and you will find the duck keeping experience a laborious chore, rather than a fun experience.
As far as salmonella from live poultry, I suggest listening to science, rather than anecdotal accounts. Any person in the house that is immunocompromised should practice strict hygiene practices when around live poultry. Keeping the pen area clean, avoiding fecal matter accumulation will help prevent a concentrated about of salmonella in the birds living quarters.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/dpk/food-safety/live-poultry-salmonella/live-poultry-salmonella.html

I think you will find a more enjoyable duck-keeping experience if you choose to raise the ducklings during a warmer period of the year where they can be outside. I think most new waterfowl owners underestimate the amount of cleaning that goes into keeping ducklings; the first few weeks it is manageable, but anytime after that, it will take up a large majority of your day, and you will find the duck keeping experience a laborious chore, rather than a fun experience.
As far as salmonella from live poultry, I suggest listening to science, rather than anecdotal accounts. Any person in the house that is immunocompromised should practice strict hygiene practices when around live poultry. Keeping the pen area clean, avoiding fecal matter accumulation will help prevent a concentrated about of salmonella in the birds living quarters.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/dpk/food-safety/live-poultry-salmonella/live-poultry-salmonella.html

Back
Top Bottom