Salmonella Outbreak From Baby Chicks

I don't think there's a treatment. I guess call a vet and find out? The outbreak was about 3 yrs ago so they might not be at risk now. Unless your chicks are older and were from that time period.
http://www.fox19.com/story/25474745/nationwide-salmonella-outbreak-linked-to-mount-healthy-hatchery

Just to recap, yes three years ago there was a samonella outbreak traced to this hatchery, then again last year...then again this year. But honestly it does not matter, live chickens should be treated like you should treat dead chickens, immediately disinfect anything that it has touched no matter what hatchery, and yes people stop kissing your chickens
sickbyc.gif
I hold mine, and give them treats and pet them and snuggle them...then I walk away and treat them like a toxic waste dump, the shirt comes off and gets washed, if I walked in the coop with anything but my muck boots that came off at the gate then those shoes go in the washer too. I wash my hands and then retrace my steps with a sanitizing wipe to wipe any door handle, sink handle, light switch and coop handle along the way. Three minutes of time each time I deal with my chickens is not such an inconvenience as being sick or having someone in my family sick.

http://www.fox19.com/story/25474745/nationwide-salmonella-outbreak-linked-to-mount-healthy-hatchery

Just to recap, yes three years ago there was a samonella outbreak traced to this hatchery, then again last year...then again this year. But honestly it does not matter, live chickens should be treated like you should treat dead chickens, immediately disinfect anything that it has touched no matter what hatchery, and yes people stop kissing your chickens :sick  I hold mine, and give them treats and pet them and snuggle them...then I walk away and treat them like a toxic waste dump, the shirt comes off and gets washed, if I walked in the coop with anything but my muck boots that came off at the gate then those shoes go in the washer too. I wash my hands and then retrace my steps with a sanitizing wipe to wipe any door handle, sink handle, light switch and coop handle along the way. Three minutes of time each time I deal with my chickens is not such an inconvenience as being sick or having someone in my family sick. 

wow-I'm pretty germophobic and I don't do all that. then again it would take a lot more than 3 minutes-our chickens are not that close to our house. We use elbows or whatever to turn on water to wash up but I don't freak out too much about the other stuff. My husband is a livestock farmer going on 30 yrs so I try to go by what he does.

Oh and I don't snuggle my chickens. If I go into the coop where it's dusty and hard to move without bumping a surface I change when I get in and I have chicken boots near the coop that I use if I have to go in. Otherwise I just wash my hands.

eta: I also keep a bottle of hand sanitizer at the coop so I can clean my hands. So I don't think the door handles, etc get too germy. I figure what little germs survive the sanitizer are no worse than the kids pick up just playing in the yard. The sun should kill any germs on outside door handles or coop handles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom